Thursday, September 15, 2011

More Random Thoughts

First off, I have to wish a happy late b-day to Chad!  He just hit the last year of his 20's.  We celebrated with just our little fam, a few gifts and red velvet cake.  Micah was explaining to me today that Chad is getting closer to 100.  I asked him what we were going to do with dad when he was 100 and he said "I think I am going to be in college or something then."  I guess we can't count on Micah to take care of us in our old age.  Time to suck up to Brooklyn!


Speaking of Brooklyn, I have been falling in love with this little girl.  If anyone has read much of my blog at all, you would know that B and I have a love hate relationship.  I love her, but she and I have not gotten along well.  I know that has to sound weird to say about a three year old, but truly she has been a challenge.  With Micah in school for full days, things have changed.  We get to cuddle and run errands together and just hang out.  She is a totally different kid when she is alone.  It is like she doesn't have to fight for attention, so she is a dream.  I love to hear her chat away and talk about all the things she is seeing.  I am just loving it!

I have been a bad blogger lately.  I haven't been writing or reading many and it shows.  Sadly, the last two posts have no comments and I deserve it.  Sorry.  If anyone could do me a favor and write a little something in those post, it will help me to 1) not feel like a loser and 2) motivate me to write a little more often. 

I don't want to speak too soon, but I am feeling so serene these days.  Sounds cheesy, right?  I feel like most of my twenties have been kind of crazy.  Trying to figure out life and the ups and downs.  A lot of it has been trying to figure out motherhood.  I definitely was comparing myself to some imaginary perfect mother who cooks, cleans, sews, and adores every moment with her kids.  I don't know where I got the idea that I had to be Polly Perfect, but I found myself disappointed with myself day after day and getting frustrated that I wasn't loving and adoring every moment with my kids.  I think I have gotten a better grip on the reality of the situation.  For one, I got some great advice.  I told an old friend that I was struggling with my happiness in being a mom.  She told me that every mom has felt that way at one time or another and if they say they didn't they were lying.  Motherhood is the hardest thing you will ever experience, but by far the most rewarding.  My favorite part is that she said people that don't ever have children and experience all these highs and lows are like flowers that never bloom.  They never reach their full potential.  I loved that!  I'm blooming!  Ha ha.  The other thing that has helped is reading this book:
This is such a great book.  If anyone needs a boost to feel more positive (because a positive attitude is priceless) I highly recommend this book.  It goes over different stories and views on how to see better days.  The point is that you have to SEE good days.  They aren't given to you, you have to LOOK for them.  Duh, how did I miss that?  Again, great read!

6 Quick Thoughts:

Marcella Deter said...

I really enjoyed this post. I will have to check that book out as well. Your friend also had some great advice :)

Jennifer Dyal said...

Rach! I suck at writing my own posts, but I love reading yours. Welcome back!

Carrie Braunalicious said...

You are amazing. I call dibs on that book at some point!

Ali said...

Great book recommendation...I'm sure I'd benefit from reading it too. Noted!

Chelle said...

I'm so glad you're getting good bonding time with Brooklyn...the dynamic is different is different with two. I feel like Kaleb gets alot less attention than he used to because Kole is so demanding. I love that you blog about how you're feeling & share things that help you. If you have that book I'd love to borrow it sometime...being happy takes constant effort!

Becky and Ben said...

So is B like an angel when Micah goes to school and then like a little spawn of satan when he walks in the door? hehe I swear that it how Ross is. He loves his one on one time (especially when Ellie naps), but as soon as Brad walks in the door he does a 180. Oy!