Friday, July 3, 2009

Mother of the Year

This year's award won't be going to me! For a while I thought I had a chance at it after successfully collecting a stool sample from Brooklyn with only a few dry heaves. Gross! Anyways, the award will allude me this year because of two major reasons. Number one: A mother of the year never ever forgets to sunscreen her kids. Whoops!

We had friends over and we were playing in the backyard. I knew I hadn't put sunscreen on, but I kept thinking to myself that I would bring them in as soon as I saw any color on them. Well, it turns out that sometimes that color doesn't show up until you go inside. That is when they kind of pink up. Poor Micah got pretty burnt. Brooklyn didn't get it too bad, but they were both troopers. I have been keeping them covered in aloe and gave them Motrin for the night. Poor kids!

On to reason number two: A mother of the year never takes her eyes off her kids. Not even for a second! Well, I did. As we were out at Trader Joe's stocking up on the usually needs of toddlers, I stopped at the back to try a sample of the food they were making that day. I had just gotten my food and a plastic fork when I hear the sample lady saying "Oh oh oh." I look behind me to see Micah climbing on the side of the cart and it was slowly starting to tip over. I quickly grab for the handle as Brooklyn leaned forward and something snapped. Well, I caught the cart in time and Micah got down, but as I grabbed for the handle, the plastic fork I was holding scratched my poor Brooklyns face so hard it snapped one of the tines off! I thought I had stabbed her in the eye for a second and was freaking out. Luckily, there was just a little blood and a lot of tears. Now she is pretty scratched up!

Well, in efforts to redeem myself and maybe go for second place, we went to Boomers! This place will take every penny you have as it is rotting under your feet, but it didn't matter. Micah and Brooklyn had a blast. They LOVED that place!

We played at the arcade for a while, then got some food and headed out for a round of golf.

We had to leave before Micah could get a chance to drive the go karts since it was nap time and he was not too happy about that. He whined for a while and then got quiet. Then he asked us "Is cheese crackers vegetables?" I laughed and told him "No. If they were, there would be a lot more healthy people." I thought it was an odd question and then I realized why he had asked it. When we left we told him he couldn't drive the go karts because he wasn't big enough yet. I told him he needed to eat his vegetables to grow a couple of inches. He is such a good boy. Always trying to do what he is told (especially if there is a fun reward involved)!

2 Quick Thoughts:

The Burnetts said...

I'm dying! You guys are so funny - always an adventure! I still think you're a great mom...have a happy 4th!

TMV2 said...

I have never left a message on a blog before, let alone any website for that matter. However as I do not read your blog all that often I could not help but to make a comment. Recently as you know our friends lost their 17 month baby boy in a pool accident. I pray each and everyday that their lives will somehow be able to move past this tragedy, I also pray that anyone who hears the story first thinks about the loss of a child. Second remembers as hard as we may try to be perfect parents, NO one is perfect. Every accident is but a second away when we least expect it. We all have a story to tell about our children and how lucky we are that we felt no true tragedy, the gilt of a scratch on a face is nothing in comparison to the loss of a child. I LOVE that you shared the story! Thank you!