Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Little Home Improvement

Surprised that I am back so soon? Well, I am trying to get back on this. Well, we have been trying to do some home improvement projects here and there. You might remember the antique bed I got on Craigslist for a steal.
It has all this pretty detail and I wanted to get a dresser for her that matched it. She had an Ikea dresser that was too modern to go in her girly room. So I began searching Craigslist again to see if I could find another treasure.
That is when I found this. I was hoping to find a cheap one that I could work on myself, but this one I got $275 ($50 lower than what she was asking for) and it was already done. Solid wood with dovetailing. I still was feeling like it was a little more than I should have spent (don't start Chad on that one), but I loved it!
I was feeling a little guilty for spending that much until I spotted this on PB kids. They want $599 plus another $100 for shipping! Now I am feeling like I got a deal especially since I got another two drawers.
Decorating a house is expensive and since we don't have an unlimited budget, it is slow going. We do things as we can. B's room is still coming together. I just added some ribbon to the end of her lanterns which make them look a little more complete.
I also made another little piece of art. I think it goes well with the teacup pictures.
Now I just need to get the Ava shelf from PB kids to put her books and whatnot on.
It hasn't just been B's room we have been working on. We got these neat little hanging bins from Ikea for CHEAP. Now they are holding all of Micah's art and craft supplies. We are hoping to build a little corner desk for him soon so he can sit there and do his homework or draw.
Another thing I am working on is a message board for our family. We have one of those useless doors that go to our heater and with such a small space, we need to make use of it. I decided that I would divide it up into thirds. The top is cork. I bought the roll that was meant to be a shelf liner from Target and doubled it up for thickness. The middle will be vinyl to act as a white board and the bottom part is a chalkboard, just painted on with some chalkboard paint. Almost done!

6 Quick Thoughts:

Brynn said...

it is looking great!

Ali said...

These are such great ideas! Awesome find on craigslist. Although it is a chunk of money, it sure looks sweet;)

Ali said...

...oh, and I love your B canvas!!!

Sarah said...

You are so talented! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the dressers. I can never find anything that great on craigslist. Great idea with the door too! Can't wait to see more!

Carrie Braunalicious said...

the dresser is perfection and a steal. love the artwork and shelves, and that door is awesomeness! You inspire me/make me feel lame. craft night soon!

Kristyn said...

Carrie's comment made me laugh! Cuz I feel the same! I'm completely embarassed by our house and don't even like to think about how undecorated it is. But maybe this will be a little inspiraiton to put a little beauty into our home!