Thursday, June 4, 2009

Runner or not, here I come!

So Memorial Day was memorable for me. I ran my first 5K! Val really wanted to do it and I wanted to give it a shot, so we signed up for the Laguna Hills Memorial Day Run and Val bought us the coolest bright pink argyle socks. We were both saying how unprepared we were for the race. I hadn't been running with the move and Brooklyn's b-day and life in general. She said she hadn't either, but I think she was lying to me! As our race started, Val took of like a bat out of hell! I thought we were going to jog, but no...we were weaving in and out of the crowd. All the while Val is saying things like "come on Rach, we can do this" and "make Coach Almond proud!" Whatever. I was trying, but I was telling the truth when I said I hadn't been running and this flat out sprint was killing me! Lucky for me as we headed into Leisure World, my shoe came untied and I needed to stop and fix it. Ten seconds of rest and then off we go again. Finally as my lungs began to cramp and my peripheral vision started to become psychdelic, I decided it was time to walk. My sides cramped and my lungs ached. Yes, I am horribly out of shape! Val took off and I am glad she did. I didn't want to hold her back and I didn't want to pass out trying to keep up with her! Well, after about a half mile of walking and intermittened jogging, I finally was able to start my run again. This time it was at my pace. I was able to jog the last mile and a half and did OK. I won't tell you my time because it is pretty sad. Let's just say it is a starting point! Val did great and I still think she was secretly running at home. It's OK Val, you can tell me you have been running and you are going to smoke my slow butt. I can take it! Anyways, it was fun and it makes me want to get back into running. I want to be able to feel like I can conquer it in a faster time and run the whole thing. Oh, and seeing the other avid runners bodies is motivational also! So we are supposed to be doing the Irvine mud run in July. Still haven't been consistently running, but I think I will still do it. I will keep doing 5Ks for a while until I feel like I can handle a 10K. Again, I don't want to lose a lung or suffer the embarrassment of passing out among thousands of athletes!

On a side note, our house hunt has been wild. I would go into details, but then this post would go on forever. As of right now, we are waiting to hear back on one house. It is actually a condo, but it is 2000 square feet and four bedroom, so it is the largest of all the places we have looked at. It needs work. The people before came in and I think they were trying to flip it and ran out of money. So things like the kitchen are all done, but lack appliances. A bathroom has no sink, the tub has no shower head, etc. The price is good though since it is the bank that is trying to sell it, but we have run into a few bumps on the way. We had people promising us things that they are suddenly forgetting about. They just wanted our business. Anyways, I hope we get it, if not, it will be back to square one yet again!

One more thing, I know I have been so bad about blogging and worse about commenting. I do read all your blogs, but don't have much time to sit and comment because I can't let my kids wander in the house like I could before. My parents house has a ton of stairs and just a lot of stuff for them to get into, so I am constantly on my toes trying to keep them out of trouble. Hopefully, we will have our own home soon and I will get back on top of my blogging and commenting.

8 Quick Thoughts:

Chelle said...

Wow...2,000 square feet would be awesome!!! Did you know race pics are up? I downloaded some, but our computers both crashed (on my mom's right now)...fun stuff!

Kristyn said...

Good job on the run! And don't compare yourself to a Hallstrom - they have running in their genes I tell you!!! I think you did awesome for not having run before. And 2000 sf is AMAZING for a condo. And don't be scared of a fixer-upper, see it as a challenge!! :) You're gonna have a lot of fun making decisions if it pans out.

Tanya said...

congrats on finishing the race. I can't imagine trying to run 5 miles I walk/ran 3 miles about a month ago and it was hard work. It is sad that the largest places are condos or townhomes isn't it, we ran into that same issue or rather are running into that same issue. I hope you all get it. and if not the perfect place is still out there somewhere.

Mommy of three said...

Congrats on having the courage to take on that race, even if you suffered through most of it (like I would)! I will keep my fingers crossed for you to get the HUGE house. 2000 square feet is a lot of space. Nice to see you today (in between discipling my middle child and feeling like a lousy mommy :)

Mrs. Case said...

Props for running, period. You have a fantastic figure as it is so I promise those other runners ain't got nothin' on ya!

Mrs. Case said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Valley Girl said...

Um.... first of all woman i promise i hadn't been running since before Chile... March i think. And you did wonderful! It was super fun, i loved that we did it together!I'll have to send you the picture of us before...
Good luck on the condo, really hope it works out, i love that neighborhood! and the park, and school are so darn close... it would be perfect!

oh and thanx i was waiting for you comment, i knew you would correct me, and for the life of me i couldn't remember how to spell it!

Becky and Ben said...

I'm so impressed that you ran that race. I have been dying to get out and do a 5K. I would love to run a 1/2 marathon or walk/run a full marathon one day. We'll see how that goes, but I'm so proud of you!