Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Kindergarten Update

You may know that I really had a hard time deciding on whether or not to send Micah to school this year. It was difficult because he was five before the school year, but just barely. He had very little preschool experience, but knows everything needed for kindergarten. Anyways, I decided to send him.

I was having a really hard time and having major mommy guilt for putting him in because the feedback I was getting from his teacher was not so good. If you don't recall, she at one point asked if I thought he had a condition. Yeah, that didn't go over so well. Then about a week or two ago when I asked how he did, she told me that he tried to steal the rhythm sticks from the music teacher. Micah was right next to me as she said that. He and I have had talks about stealing before and needless to say he was very hurt. He immediately said "No I didn't!" Poor kid. This teacher seriously has no tact.

Anyways, with day after day full of negative reports I was feeling pretty bad about putting him in. Let me clarify though, all the reports had to do with Micah either being on his own schedule, going ahead on the assignment or asking the teacher why he had to do this and that he didn't want to. Never was he mean or belligerent or flat out disruptive. Well, I had to go in and see what was going on. Last Tuesday I went into his class and watched them all day. Micah would lay on the carpet instead of sitting straight up in a square. He didn't have the patience to do the math assignment with the whole class. He was on three while they were still on one. Another thing that he would do is not tune in to where the conversation was going. As the rest of the kids were guessing what the favorite animal was, Micah felt the need to compliment the kid on his drawing of a motorcycle. He was also the kid that stood up in music class and took the rock star stance and said "Are you ready to rock!"

Well, at the end of the day, although I wasn't thrilled with his behavior, it really wasn't all that bad. I realized that all the teacher was reporting to me at the end of the day were the two or three things he did wrong and not all the times he was listening or kind. Oh well, at least I know better now. As for the teacher, I thought she might have been singling him out and I was wrong. If anything, she was too nice. She would just ask things of him so nonchalantly whereas I would be more direct and firm.

Well, it just so happens that my parent teacher conference was the next day. I was a little anxious to hear what she said. Right off the bat, she told me how bright he is. She told me he is definitely the type to think out of the box and those tend to be the most creative kids she has had. She said he was the type that turn into the Bill Gates of the world! Yay Micah! She then went over the standard test scores and he blew them out of the water. The first test, he only needed an eight and he got a nineteen. The second one they want the kids to get to a forty by the end of the year. He got a sixty four on the first one of the year! She told me he is a quick talker, articulate and even said that he told her he thinks different than the other kids. I think she threw in a Rainman reference in there somewhere, but I let that one fall to the waysides. Overall, he is as smart as a whip, but this year, we are concentrating on getting him to behave well in class. Honestly, I think he is one of the coolest kids I have ever met. Such a fun and unique personality. I hope he can still be who he is and also learn to be a part of the class.

4 Quick Thoughts:

Ryan and Laura said...

Sounds like a breath of reliefe...and it is part of a Kindergarden teacher's job to teach kids the skills needed to sit still and listen in class. I worked with kinders for almost 7 years and the whole first half of the year is teaching "social" lessons with some other learning thrown in there. I'm sure Micha will be a perfect angel by first grade :) So glad the situation turned around. It makes me so nervous to send Tyler to school - and greatful he has a friend of mine as a preschool teacher right now.

The Bradys said...

Seriously rachel that is exactly what i thought was happening in the post a few weeks ago! I know how smart micah is, all it is is learning how to act in a classroom, which is hard for a 5 yr old who hadnt really been in a classroom before! Hes gonna get it, thats what kindergarden is all about- youre friend Laura is right!! Im so happy you can breathe a sigh of relief again! And you were right in going to sit in the class one day to see for yourself. I dont think you will ever have a true idea of it until you do! Be glad the teacher said something and u guys can work on it together too!! Yayyy for Micah, he is an awesome kid, and i can totally see him being the next Bill Gates ;)

Kristyn said...

Go Micah! What a little Bill Gates (only much cuter)! Glad you went with your gut and just did it. I'm sure it will only get better from here on out.

Tanya said...

he is doing awesome. It is still early in the year and without a whole year of already doing the sitting and following directions thing all day he is doing pretty darn good. Sounds like it was a good report so keep him cool, he will do great!!!