Sunday, May 15, 2011

Phew!

Last week I had a bit of a scare. I was late...I don't want to spell it out for you, you know what I mean. Anyways, I was a lot late. Like 3 weeks. I was sure there was no way that I was prego and two tests told me I wasn't, but still nothing. Anyways, I decided to go into my OB/GYN just to make sure things are OK. Well, it takes a week to get any results. A week is a long time to wait! So I get a call on Wednesday that I am definitely not pregnant and that although all the tests came back in normal, my blood test showed that I had a drop in my platelet level. Over a year it had dropped about 30 points. He told me to make an appointment with my primary physician to look it over.

If you know me, you know I am not a medical person. I don't like hospitals, I avoid the doctor (for myself) and I try not to take medicines. I am not totally against it, but I think the body can take care of a lot of things on its own and I hate being poked and prodded. Hearing the doctor say he wanted me to talk to another doctor freaked me out. My friend Carrie was over and we turned to trusty doctor Google first to see what a low platelet level meant. The Mayo Clinic said it was a symptom of leukemia. Totally freaked out now. I got on the phone with my doctor and made an appointment for that afternoon. I had too many hours between to think and I scared myself half to death.

Finally the appointment rolls around and the doctor says that although it doesn't look or sound good to be below the "normal" range, there are many normals and this might be my normal. He said his wife is actually lower than me on a normal basis. Nonetheless, he is going to have me come in for labs in another 6 weeks to make sure it isn't continuing to go down. He seemed very sure of himself and it relaxed me. What a scare!

Glad that we got to get out that night. I needed it. My sister and her family were camping at Doheny, so we met them for dinner and this is how I got to end my day:

4 Quick Thoughts:

Carrie Braunalicious said...

I'm so glad everything turned out okay! Great pics of the kids at the beach- very so-cal mommy of you :)

Ali said...

oh man. Scary. I hate the unknown. So glad that it can be normal!!

Beautiful beach evening...looks wonderful.

Marcella Deter said...

keep us posted. i am glad you are ok :)

AnnaMarie said...

I have scared myself so many times like that. At least 3. I'm sure you're fine. And, are you the photographer producing all these amazing pictures?