Sunday, February 5, 2012

Oh Sweetness

 Again another week gone before I can catch my breath!  Let's see...Saturday I helped my niece get ready for her Winter Formal.  How did she grow up so fast and beautiful?
 For FHE, we decided to try this apple nachos recipe. It was a hit!  Sliced apples, sliced strawberries, shredded coconut, chocolate sauce, chocolate chips and caramel sauce.  I don't remember dinner, but dessert was awesome!
 We took a trip to Yogurtland after school just because.  I think those couple of hours between Micah getting out of school and Chad coming home are hard to fill, so we try to get creative.  Food is creative to me!
 Wednesday we saw the dentist.
 We had to make sure all of those sweet treats weren't doing any damage.  This girl threw a huge fit.  She basically had to be pinned for them to brush her teeth.
 The old veteran was a pro and even took the x-rays with ease.  Well, they gagged him a little, but that wasn't his fault. 
 All clean and best of all no cavities for either of them!  Yay!
 We also got hit with a pretty nasty cold this week.  We have been house bound for a few days, so we have been enjoying movie nights.  Aren't they sweet?
Speaking of sweet, we are a little addicted.  Oh I love this kid!

On a more serious note, I gave in.  At least that is how I feel.  After having several doctors and professionals recommend medication, I finally did it.  As a parent, I felt like I must have caused this somehow.  Maybe I ate something wrong when I was pregnant or exposed him to something that created this problem, even if I was told by professionals that there is no way that I could have.  Either way, there is some sort of guilt and responsibility you take on when you hear there is something is wrong with your child.  So when you feel like you created the problem, you want to fix it.  Well, I tried everything in my power to "fix" it.  I changed his diet, I added supplements, I made sure he got exercise, I prayed and I was strict on his behavior.  Now let me just tell you in case you don't understand, Micah is not the same kid in school that you see day to day.  I went in to see what everyone was talking about and they were right.  He was a different person.  The way he moved and made noises and the lack of interaction with other kids had me nearly in tears.  As much as I wanted to try to do natural things and wait until he outgrew it, I knew that the other kids were noticing and saying things to him.  It would only serve to erode his self confidence if I waited.  It was a problem and we needed to figure something out.  Well, we tried my methods to "fix" it and the strictness stressed him out, so we backed off.  The change in diet did very little to change things.  Finally, we met with a pediatric neurologist (which by the way is the only way to be officially diagnosed and get help through the school) and she introduced the idea of medication again and I resisted.  Chad said it was time and after a long talk about how gentle and advanced this is, I agreed.  I felt guilty and worried about how this would affect him.  I was wrong though.  The medicine has been a great help all around.  He felt in control.  We saw a difference and we even got a positive e-mail from the teacher AND the principal telling us that they have seen him improve.  I'm SO thrilled that this worked for us.  We are also going to start a therapy that teaches him how to focus and filter out distractions.  Again, I am writing this not only for a record for myself, but also for others who may go through this with their child.  I want them to know they aren't alone and there is a method to this madness even if no one tells you the way through it.  We are seeing great changes and have hope that things are going to be much easier for him!

2 Quick Thoughts:

Kristyn said...

Rach, I have a really good friend that tried EVERYTHING under the sun for years, before giving in to a low dose of meds. She also saw a huge improvement and was glad she did it, if even begrudgingly. Relax. I don't think I've ever heard or read anything that would suggest a mom like you could have caused ADHD. I'm sure you didn't do a thing to cause this. And the doctors told you that too, I think, right? Rach, you're an awesome mom. Don't worry. These things happen, and I'm sure life will only have more bumps, but you're handling this well, and it's turning out great. Micah is SUCH a GOOD kid, and you are amazing. Don't worry. Love you Rach!

Ali said...

oh my goodness. I laughed so hard when I saw Micah's note to Chad. I feel for him!!! Too funny.

I'm glad you've found something that's making a difference and works for Micah at school...it does not sound like an easy thing to take the plunge and do, but it sounds like its the right thing!