Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Betty Freakin' Crocker


Lately I have had some of the worst dinners ever. I mean so bad that you opt to go out for Del Taco afterwards. Admittedly, it has been a while since I have regularly made dinner. We had a four month hiatus while we stayed with my parents. Now that we are in our own place and I have a kitchen to myself, I have been cooking. I make a great breakfast, lunch is fine, but dinner has been a disaster! We have had chicken undercooked, chili that turned out too sweet, and twice baked potatoes that weren't even cooked properly the first time around! I partially blame the new stove. The place we got was flipped and a lot of the work was done as cheaply as possible. Case and point, my new appliances. Yes, they are new, but they are the bottom of the barrel model. This range doesn't have any sort of indicator as to when the oven has gotten up to the correct temperature or a timer. Therefore, I am guessing as I put food in that the oven is at the right temperature. Add to that the knobs for the range only indicate Lite and High. Don't try to go for Low because that means Off! I have burnt food on the stove top and undercooked food in the oven. I can't win. This will be an appliance that will be replaced when we get our tax return. I mean, last I checked putting potatoes in the oven at 350 for about an hour would bake them, but I was wrong. You get raw potatoes, so the twice baked part goes right out the window and cooking them once in now the goal! Oh and did I mention we don't have a microwave? Well, I should say we don't have one in the house. My kitchen is teeny tiny and putting it on the counter will take up all my prep room, so we are waiting to get an above range microwave. So here is my dilemma. How would you cook dinner with a stove top that is too hot, an oven that is too cold and no microwave? I am this close to just going over to Super Suppers and having a good meal made for my family ahead of time. It might just save my sanity and probably money too since I can't get myself to save the leftovers from my meals. If it isn't good the first time around, then the second time can't be much better!

8 Quick Thoughts:

The Didlake's said...

Hang in there Rachel! Give yourself time to adjust to the appliances and remember to use soothing reassuring tones with them, they may decide to work for you. Also give them a song and dance they may get a kick out of it, and I'm sure the kids would too!

Chelle said...

Oh my gosh...I can totally relate. My Mom's kitchen hasn't had any work done to it since it was built 30 years ago!!! The knobs for the stovetop are cracked & almost non-existent...you have to guess which way to turn it & how hot you told it to get. The oven knobs have been scrubbed clean....so clean there are no numbers anymore! We bought them a new microwave, so at least that works. The kitchen window is so loose it wobbles if you touch it (no cleaning that window!). The dishwasher occasionally turns rinsed dishes into a slimy mess. Aaaargh!!!!

Mrs. Case said...

A $5 solution to your oven troubles would be an oven thermometer. You can get one at Target, Walmart, even the grocery store. I'm used to living in rentals so not knowing when the oven is ready is common.

Tanya said...

yeah I've never had an oven that told me it was hot either, although that would be fancy...I'm sure you and your appliances will warm up to eachother soon enough, good luck!!!

Ali said...

That sounds MOST frustrating. I think cooking is hard enough as is, well-working appliances are a MUST. I hope a tax break comes sooner than later!!

Foy said...

It has been so hot. We have been mostly sticking to the grill. Easy clean up too!

Carrie Braunalicious said...

Getting used to new appliances is HARD! I know you'll pull through and end up being the Betty Crocker you were meant to be. :) Can't wait to see the new casa!

Brooke and Aaron said...

How frustrating! Hang in there! Whenever I get bogged down with stuff, I try to remember the blessings in my life to cheer myself back up! And..you are doing your best and that's the most you can do so give yourself some credit. You're doing great! Hope you like your new place, well besides the stove of course. ;)