Saturday, November 7, 2009

Don't sweat the small stuff

So right now, I am not taking that advice so well. More kids=more things to manage=more stress. For the last hour or so I have been going over different ideas for our up coming family picture. It is our first one with Brooklyn. I know, I am terrible. We had one with the extended family with her in it, but this will be the first one with just the four of us. When it was just Micah, it wasn't a problem. We went with jeans and a black top. Micah's was striped, so he looked extra cute. The pictures turned out great. Now that I have a boy and a girl I am trying to figure out how to coordinate all of us and I don't want to go with just a black or white. So I have been toying with the idea of different color schemes. Truthfully I am looking for an excuse to buy this cute little Gap dress:


I thought I can buy that and get her a cute pink or blue bow/flower for her hair and then use those colors to dress the rest of us. I am running into a few problems though. One, if I buy this adorable dress, I will have to buy shoes to go with it since she doesn't have any. Two, we might all have to buy clothes to go with her and I don't want to get us all new clothes to wear. OK, I WANT new clothes, I just don't want to BUY them. Three, should I really be making Brooklyn the center of attention in the photo? I mean, Micah is just as important, but boy clothes just aren't as exciting. Four, do we want to be so dressy for a family photo? We want to coordinate, but want to avoid things like this:


...and this:

Anyone know of a good color scheme to go with? If I don't figure one out soon, I might just be developing sepia and black and whites!

7 Quick Thoughts:

Sarah said...

I like the sunflower look....bright, check, flowery, check, "green", check! What more could you ask for?! I'm sure the pictures will turn out no matter what you do, you've got the cutest little kidos! :) Good luck!

Brooke and Aaron said...

Hey, how did you get a hold of my family's picture? Just kidding...but really, I remember many Christmas cards, from my childhood, that looked just like that. What were we thinking? I guess I should start thinking about our picture this year. Thanks for the reminder! I can't wait to see what you decide.

Chelle said...

That dress is sooooo cute! Check out Children's Orchard or somplace for cheap cute shoes to match? I think you can choose any color you want...we went with green because Kaleb is OBSESSED with it :) Also, there is no way to avoid Brooklyn being the center of attention in the pic: #1 she's the youngest which automatically means more attention #2 she's a girl, which means her clothes are cuter & more frilly. Post your pics when you get them...I'm excited to see what you end up doing!!

ashley said...

i hate getting clothes together for fam pics! that dress is so so cute though! go with greys and yellows- think mustard, and blues? i have no idea. good luck!

and thanks for the craft compliment, i would really truly get my butt kicked in a crafting competition though!

Carrie Braunalicious said...

I agree with Michelle- no way to keep Brooklyn from being the center of attention- she's too cute and spunky! I think light pinks would be adorable with that dress. And who needs shoes? Barefoot babies are the cutest.
Wow- those family photos are awesome. DARE YOU to recreate the sunflower picture. :)

Chelsea and Rusty said...

you don't necessarily need to be matching, maybe do colors that are coordinating,like browns and mustards, with a splash of another color that coordinates, like a dark turquoise/blue... these are probably not colors you like but do a few colors that coordinate. but my advice would be, to not be too matchy matchy.

Chelsea and Rusty said...

Oh and i always look at nature to find inspiration- look at what colors go together in nature, like flowers, leaves etc...