Monday, November 16, 2009

We'll try again next time...

This Sunday we were so excited for Brooklyn's first day of nursery. Finally, at 18 months old, I can drop her off and spend the rest of church getting a spiritual message. To make things even easy, we gathered up two trash bags full of toys for us to take over there, so she would have lots of familiar toys to play with while she was there. It also didn't hurt that there is now room in the house for Santa to bring toys! Anyways, the last few weeks I have been going into nursery to get her used to it and to give me something to do instead of just pacing the halls. Seriously, it gets boring quickly! When it came time to drop her off we had all the toys out and they were all having fun playing. I was about to leave the room when the nursery leader asked if I could stay since her assistant was sick. OK, I could do one hour. No big deal. As the next hour approached, another lady came in and I thought I saw my opportunity. I tried to sneak out. I walked down the hall and down the stairs and that is when I heard her screams! Within a minute the nursery leader was down the stairs with her. OK, now it is Chad's turn. I turn over an inconsolable toddler to him and head to class. I thought the rest of the day must have gone OK. Wrong...I went to Micah's class to pick him up, only to find out that he hit one of his friends with a paper (I know it is only a piece of paper, but it is still naughty. Don't get me started on this one!) Chad said that Brooklyn was a wreck. He finally took her for a drive to have her fall asleep in the car, which threw off naps big time. We all went home exhausted and very short tempered. Like I said, we will try again next time!

On a positive note, Brooklyn is binkie free! She is doing awesome. She goes to bed and nap well without it and even rides in the car without a peep. I am so glad I don't have to keep track of those things any more. As an added bonus, she is talking more. She said mine, caw (that means bird), shoes and a few others. I knew she was understanding us the whole time!

Also, I am reading a great book called Forgiving Ourselves and it is a great book I would recommend to anyone that is having a hard time letting go of the past. I know I make myself sound like I have murdered someone. Really it is stupid and little. I mean the bishop even giggled when I told him. The biggest problem is forgiving myself. I am learning how to do that. This book is awesome. It really emphasizes God's grace and trusting in it. That is very comforting! I am learning so much in this process and I think that is what the point has been all along, to learn and grow. I have more empathy and less judgment upon others. I have learned patience and a real need to have faith rather than thinking I can make it through life on my own!

Sorry about slacking in the blogging department. My life has been busy as always and it is hard for me to fit it in. I was thinking a little giveaway might be a good way to get back into it again. Check back later this week!

5 Quick Thoughts:

Chelle said...

Major bummer about nursery not working well & not getting your spiritual message!!! I agree with you about hitting with paper...although I'm surprised the teacher even bothered to tell you. Maybe it's bad that I'd let that slide as a teacher, but not as a mother. Oh well! Glad you're learning to let go, and don't worry: no one who knows you would think you did something that is actually bad. Drinking caffeine isn't really a sin, Rachel ;) jk.

Ali said...

Bummer Sunday! Sometimes Sundays are the hardest days cause you spend all morning getting ready and you have the highest of hopes and so often it just doesn't turned out as pictured...but on the days it does-it's all worth it!

I LOVE self-help books. I just started a new one today called "Changing your thoughts, changing your life"...I am exited to get into it. I love tips on more self-help books too, thanks! :)

Tanya said...

yes nursery is hard at first. both my boys had a hard time the first couple of weeks I actually left them but the nursery leaders were great and really good at distracting them and calming them down it will work out soon hopefully.

Carrie Braunalicious said...

Aww, Brooklyn! I'm sure she'll get used to it quickly- but glad to hear that she's binkie-free! What a relief for you!
What a perfect book for you- let us know what tiy learn once you're finished. I know I could certainly use some tips on forgiveness :)
I would LOVE to hang out with you soon- busy Th. night or Fri? I'll email.
Hugs!

Mrs. Case said...

i might check the book out!!