Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Growing Family

Our family tree grew yesterday! Ashley went in for a routine doctor's visit at 33 weeks and her blood pressure was dangerously high, so they sent her to the hospital. At the hospital they tried to give her medications to lower her blood pressure, but none of it was working and they were afraid she might start to have seizures. The decision was made to have a C-section and have the baby that night, since that is the only real cure for preclampsia. They estimated that the baby would be about 3 to 4 pounds.

Of course all of us were a bit worried, but she was given a blessing and was in good hands. Ashley went into surgery at about 9:30 and her baby boy was born. He weighed in at 4 lbs. 9 oz. Both of them are doing great. Ashley is understandably sore and baby boy (we think he will be named Austin) is in the NICU for now gaining weight and letting his internal organs mature a little more. Ashley should be home on Sunday and baby boy should be home in about three to four weeks. I have only seen pictures of him (since I came with my kids and I can't take them in with me), but I have to tell you, he is adorable! He looks very healthy and I am hoping to see him soon myself and post pictures soon. For now, he will just be in my prayers until he gets strong enough to go home. I can't wait to hold him!

4 Quick Thoughts:

Chelle said...

Thanks for the update...I was wondering what the situation was when I saw your facebook status. So glad they found the high blood pressure before it was a prob & that everything's good. 4lb.s 9 oz. is teeny, but that's a good size for how early he is, right? What a blessing & we'll pray for even more blessings heading their way.

Tanya said...

wow that is kinda scary. I am glad that everything has turned out okay. I can't wait to see him either. Maybe we could leave all the kids with their grandma's for a big playdate and we could go see him :D Brooklyn is getting to be quite the minority in this little miny generation huh?

Kristyn said...

So, so exciting!!

Sarah said...

Congrats to Ashley! We LOVE the name Austin..lol, hope all goes well in the coming weeks, let Ashley know they are in our thoughts and prayers. :)