Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Pet Peeve


I have to tell you how much this bugs me. I hate when people are late. Having kids, I understand how they can throw a wrench in your plans. I have had my share of times when we are walking out the door when one pukes and the other needs a diaper change. It happens and I can understand that. If you come fifteen minutes late frazzled and with kids, I get it. It when it gets to be a half hour, or even an hour, then I get annoyed.

I believe that it is arrogant to make others wait as if their time isn't as important as your time is. Seriously, it bugs me that much. If you know you have to be somewhere at a certain time, you should plan your day out accordingly. OK, I am getting at something I promise.

Here is what brought this on...today I had a doctor's appointment at 11:15 am. I arrived at the office at 11:05 since I am trying to be considerate of the doctor's time and hoping if I arrive a little early, I can leave a little early too! I get in, sign in and wait. The doctor's office was empty when I came in. Others come in and sign in too. I wait and wait and wait only to have some of the people that arrived after me go in before me. At 11:30 I get up and ask the receptionist if I was skipped over since I had been waiting for a half hour. She told me they would bring me back soon. About five minutes later I was called back and put in an exam room. I waited and waited and waited! It wasn't until 12:00 that my doctor came in. He literally spent two minutes talking to me and I was done. Two minutes! So I waited for an hour for him to tell me I am fine and to have a good day.

I don't get it and maybe someone that knows how the whole medical thing can give me better insight on this. I switched to this doctor because he is closer to me and I heard great things about him. Don't get me wrong, Dr. Capo is fantastic, but waiting that long is crazy. When I went to Dr. Benzl I was in and out in no time. Here is what I don't understand: If you know that the patient you are scheduling won't be able to be seen for an hour, why don't you just schedule them for an hour later? Why didn't they just schedule me for 12:00? There are plenty of things I could have done in that time I spent waiting. How do I avoid this? Should I schedule first thing in the morning, so he doesn't have any patients ahead of me or should I just switch back to my old doctor? Maybe I need to take up a hobby like knitting to do while I wait. I might have an afghan done before he comes in to see me!

9 Quick Thoughts:

Roberta said...

This is my pet peeve also!!! A major, major pet peeve!!! Working this industry for 40 years I have to say it happebns over and over and over again. My Doctors usually end up hating me because I nag them so much about being late. The only thing I can offer, is sometimes there is a true emergency and he needs to phone another Doc or hospital, but someone should tell you. I agree.

Mrs. Case said...

a friend and i were just discussing this today. i agree 200% that making people wait is entirely rude, and i go out of my way to be early, always.

however, in the medical field it is different. a patient might say they are coming in for one thing but then a problem or emergency arises or the patient has more than what they claimed they needed to discuss.

back when i had good insurance, dr capo was my doctor. he is worth every minute of the wait, to me, and that is after being sent home one day after he had an emergency delivery and i had already waited over an hour.

there have been times in my past when a doctor went above and beyond and spent "extra" time with me and i needed it. so for me, doctors offices are the exception to the waiting experience. i solely make first or last appt of the day appointments for this reason. i dont know dr benzyl but i do know when i had cancer problems, dr capo took as much time as i needed.

my response isnt about dr capo though, it's about all docs. this morning, my mom was first appt of the day and the doctor showed up to work a 1/2 hour late and then complained about hating his job the entire time. that, to me, is an inexcusable medical delay. i couldnt believe the gall the doctor had!

Ali said...

I say schedule first thing in the morning- we like to do that here, that way Jeff can either go in before work or watch Evan for me while I go in before he goes to work. We just schedule far in advance if possible so we have first pick for the wee-morning hours! I hate HATE dr. waiting rooms and the less time I can spend in there, the better!

The Didlake's said...

Pet peeve of mine also but get used to it at Mission OB/GYN. They are the worst. (Especially if you have Baginski! Hour wait on average if not longer.) But since I've been with Dr. Capo it really isn't bad. I'm actually surprised that you did wait that long. You also have to realized he has delivery's that are unexpected. I agree with CageQueen I LOOOVE Dr. Capo and I would wait for him anyday! So hang in there it will all work out in the end.

Chelle said...

Didn't you have to wait forever before your Utah trip too? That really sucks! I bet first thing in the morning is better...taht's what I've been doing & this week I was out of my appointment before it was even supposed to start bc I was 15 min early. Next time I have an afternoon appointment, though...so we'll see. The few times I've had to wait for my Dr. he showed up apologizing & letting me know that he had an emergency surgery. Although it would be nice for the front desk girls to be able to let you know & give you the option of rescheduling or not.

Kristyn said...

First, I'm a totally guilty chronic late person. But you already knew that. :) I will let you know, however, that I am leaps and bounds better than I was a few years ago. So that's progress! But I'm still working on it.

Second, I'm usually on time for my dr's appts now too (shocking, I know) and if I have to wait for more than like thirty minutes at two different appointments (I'll cut a little skack and give them a second chance), then I switch doctors. It's totally not worth it to me. I think there are several good doctors out there, not just one. And I'm not a chronic sick person that has to get a good repore with the dr. I just want to get my stuff done and not see him again for a while. So when your situation has happened to me, I just ask around for another great doctor and switched right away. I guarantee there are several more out there with his same high remarks. But that's just my opinion.

Jennifer Dyal said...

Rach....I feel ya. I have my own punctuality problems, but the Dr.s is always the worst. Recommendation...If you can't schedule first thing in the morning, the first thing after lunch is always a winner for me. Everyone seems to be well fed, in good spirits, and there is no one to wait on. Our Dr office takes 2 hour lunches. They typically run far enough behind that they only get 1 hr. I think there's not too much they can do about sticking to time frame. But they do have to be back from lunch on time. :)

Brooke and Aaron said...

That's too bad because I adore Dr. Capo. He delivered Heidi. At first, he seems to have no personality because he can be quiet but I grew to love him. You're right though..The wait at his office was always horrendous, and you only saw him for a couple of minutes after all that waiting..Ahh! You're best bet is to get the first appt of the day or possibly the one right after lunch. That's my only suggestion. I loved Capo so much that for me, the waiting was something I dealt with. I figured all Dr's were like that. Here, though, our pediatrician has been wonderful. He is so friendly and sweet with the kids. We are in and out in less than 30 min. I didn't know there were dr's out there like this until I met him. I guess what I'm saying is I appreciate our current Dr's consideration of my family's time. I always feel like I get the attention that I need and I truly feel like he respects my time as a Mommy. Back to you, some Dr's just aren't a good fit for someone and if you're that dissatisfied with it it's not worth it! You deserve better! Like Kristyn said, there are others out there just as qualified! So while people like me and Allyson will wait it out, that might not be the thing for you! Do what you think is best for YOU! Sorry to hear about the frustrations.

Taylor said...

I used to go to Dr. Capo (and loved him)but switched for that very reason...you will ALWAYS be waiting for a least an hour...just plan your apt. accordingly. I did find that it was a little quicker earlier in the morning.

Annalee