Saturday, July 3, 2010

Costco and Crafts

Yesterday I went over to my parents house to pick up Micah and while I was there, my dad decided that he needed to gas up the RV (it is his new baby). So we all hopped in and headed to Costco. He dropped us off to enjoy food court meals while he gassed up. We sat and sat and just happened to run into my friend Debbie and she joined us for a while to eat. As she got up to leave we thought we better go look for my dad since it had been a while. As we were getting up to go, an old lady next to us decided to pipe up.
"Take those kids home, they are miserable."
I thought she was joking so I laughed a bit.
"They are bad kids."
Then I realized she was serious. My mom replied with, "They're not bad kids, they are fun kids."
Let me preface this with the fact that both kids were not feeling well, especially Brooklyn. It was also passed nap time so they weren't on their best behavior, but they also weren't hellians.
The old bag decided to chime in again, "I have four kids and twenty six grandkids. I know kids and those are bad kids."
My mom was not having it, "I have four kids too and I know kids and these are not bad kids."
"Oh yes they are."
I had had enough, "They are not bad kids. Come on you guys let's go."
Old bag, who by the way is sitting by herself, "Good, you shouldn't take them out around people anyways."
My reply, "Should I put them in cages then? How would you feel about that?"
"Take them home."
I know it's not nice or Christlike, but I was pissed, "Old hag!" Then I left.
Of course, it isn't until later that I can think of all the great zingers, but that just goes to show you I am not much of a fighter. Anyways, I was pissed. I have never had anyone be so outright rude to me. I know my kids aren't perfect, but I think they are pretty good kids and since beating and drugging kids isn't right (or legal) I am teaching them with love and patience. Hope it pays off!

On to crafting! I have been doing a lot of little things here and there. I took these old letter and decopaged them with scrapbook paper and now they stand out on B's shelf.
I got around to rearranging Micah's room a bit and put his name up in a better place this time. I think it fits much better here.
I saw this craft on Ucreate. It is a great site that has so many craft tutorial. I did this with fabric paint, a few rhinestones and sewed on a silk flower. She loves it!
Then I thought these buttons would be cute on a shirt with her initial. A needle, thread and some glue for placement=a shirt just for Miss B!
She is wearing the other shirt I made today and when I asked her to show me her "b" she did this. She comes with a lot of attitude!Finally she turned around. A little fabric fusing and a ribbon rosette and you are done!
I have been working on gathering several pieces of "art" for the wall in Micah's room. I decided that we needed to add these two license plates to the wall. Georgia is from Chad's mission and Hawaii is from his college days. I got this shadow box at Michael's for 40% off and then took the pearls off the top of the pins and put little tires on the ends. I hope I can get that wall done soon!
This is what I am going to work on next. This should be a chore chart next time you see it. I am thinking some print outs, scrapbook paper, velcro and buttons. That should do the trick.

8 Quick Thoughts:

Kristyn said...

Seriously?! That lady is crazy!

And nice job, crafty pants!

Ryan and Laura said...

crafts look amazing and in regards to that old woman...really? who does that? I have no idea how I would have handled that one. I am boiling for you! I probably would have cried because I get my feelings hurt way too easily and we know that all moms try their best- nobody thinks, "i'm going to try to be a bad mom today". I hope that lady went home and sat all by herself and didn't have a single call from any of her terrible kids or grandkids ;)

Tanya said...

I can't believe someone would just say that, then argue it with you mom, that is just nuts. Your kids are sweet anyway. heck my kids are disaster if they go past nap time, lol...on the other hand you are so crafty. and where do you find the time to do all of that anyway. Lately by the time the kids get down which is reasonably early, I am beat and just want to veg and go to bed early to start all over again at 5:30ish the next day. I should finish a couple of my open projects but not tonight :D

Carrie Braunalicious said...

Okay, I seriously want to get a description of that old lady and go to Costco and punch her in the face!!! Your kids are wonderful, and the fact that she thought they weren't must mean that the kids in her life must have no personality and are insanely boring. I can only imagine if she was that awful to a stranger how she must be to her own family. Sad.
On a happier note- you are amazing! (As a mom, and a crafter. And a friend, btw.) B's shirts are too cute, and Abby has already worn hers! Pics soon, so I can also tout your awesome crafting prowess.
Hugs!

Chelle said...

Bad kids?!?! Who even thinks like that. I bet her 4 children and 100 grandchildren never call her! Geez, way to spread cheer, lady. Love the crafts...I wouldn't have thought those shirtswould be easy...they're super cute.

Brynn said...

That old lady sucks, first of all (your kids are great...she is a miserable old woman) and second of all...I love the shirts you made! So cute! :)

ashley said...

i would have dumped a smoothie on the old lady, that is so rude!
cute crafts woman!

Becky and Ben said...

I can't believe that old lady. The nerve of some people! With four kids, you think she would have uttered the words "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all." I think you handled it well.