Saturday, September 6, 2008

The "birthmark"

It's hard for me to admit, but my baby girl isn't perfect! She was born with a couple little red freckles on the back of her head, which I was told was a birthmark. Every time I go in for a doctor appointment, I ask the doctor to check it and am told it is just a birthmark and it will just break apart and go away on its own. That is a partial truth. The reason I was concerned about it is because is has grown about four times the size it was at birth. It has gotten puffy too. It looks just like this, but a little smaller:


So I did some research last night and found out that what she has it called a deep hemangioma. In all the articles it says that the hemangioma is a benign tumor that grows then stops and shrinks away leaving little or no mark at all. Doctors don't usually intervene unless it is growing in a spot that can do real damage (lips, eyes, throat). I think I will take her in anyways just to make sure it won't get too much bigger since it is a little bit bigger than a quarter right now. I think it is gross and when most people notice it they think she bumped her head. Truthfully though, most people don't notice it because of all the hair she has. I am hoping it starts to shrink away soon!

6 Quick Thoughts:

Mrs. Case said...

I have seen some terrible hemangiomas. Don't they often call them "strawberries," too?

I haven't seen Brooklyn lately but she is by far one of the most gorgeous babies I have ever seen, birthmark or not. Thank goodness it is on her head! So even if it never goes away, people will never see it. Good for you for being diligent, I'm honestly surprised no doctor gave it a name, at least, to comfort you.

Ali said...

Those are the kind of things I know will worry me sick as a Mom cause I'm already such a hypochondriac...but they shouldn't...the news you read is great! And what a blessing to have it in her sweet little head of hair. :)

Carrie Braunalicious said...

Thank goodness for the Internet, right? Some days the things I read gives me more to worry about, but when it answers your questions, it's awesome!
Brooklyn's mark is barely noticeable, as you said. Plus, it helps that all you can see are her adorable headbands!!! She's too cute- and if this is the worst thing she has to worry about, praise the Lord!

Janice said...

My sister AShley had Hemangioma. My mom says it grows and then by age 2 is just gone. Brooklyn is Beautiful...It sounds like it is not too noticeable.

ashley said...

so that is not her in the picture?
birthmarks are so strange. good thing she has all that hair!

Anonymous said...

I am sure it will turn out fine. :)
Kellyn