Monday, August 31, 2009

Life amid boxes


So this weekend we made our big move! We got the keys to our place on Thursday night and Friday we had the help of Chad's family moving all our things in the house. Saturday we spent most of the day unpacking all of the boxes and trying to make the house functional. We actually spent our first night here that night. Chad's parents were down and they were our biggest help by far. In the record breaking heat, they were right along side of us sweaty and dirty getting everything done. Lucky for us, Chad's dad is a contractor, so he not only helped us move in, but also was working on all sorts of odd jobs like changing hinges over, grouting a spout, cutting a door down, changing locks, etc. I am glad that we are in our own place now, but moving is stressful for sure! It is hard to reorganize your life and make it all work in a different way. We are finding that our place is very "cozy" and there for we need to get rid of a lot of our things. In fact, we are going to be having a garage sale to get rid of a lot of it!


Well, we have run into a few bumps along the way. Our SAM was supposed to be stored indoors, but we found out was not and our couch suffered a bit from sun exposure. We are hoping to get reimbursed for it! Also, we had some parking issues. We were told by the patrol company that our cars were safe listed for 20 days, but then woke up Sunday morning to find that Chad's car had been towed. The patrol company then changed it's story and said we were only safe listed for one day! $310 later and a trip down to the ghetto of Lake Forest, we had the Honda back. Believe me, the association will be hearing from us.

I think that the stress of moving can bring out the worst in people. It did in me. I felt like I was hearing myself more. I know that sounds weird, but as I was talking, I was also listening and I didn't like what I was hearing. Here I have just become a new homeowner, it is within our budget, is quiet, mostly new, and has room for everyone to have their own space, but I was being negative! When I would show people the house, I would point out all the flaws and things I wanted to change. Is that normal? I felt bad soon after. I think I need to work on being more positive and grateful. I think if I can be more of a glass-half-full type person, I think it will make life better and easier on all of us. I need to squash that type A personality that likes to creep out and expect perfection. I'm not perfect, won't ever be and I shouldn't expect it. I need to take pleasure in the simple things and have "Joy in the Journey."

11 Quick Thoughts:

Tanya said...

you guys did a super fast move, I imagine ours going much slower, lol but that is so exciting to be finally in your own place!!!

Becky and Ben said...

I am so happy for you guys. I'm excited to see the pics when you get everything put the way you want it. Do you know if there are any kids around Micah and Brooklyn's age for them to play with yet?

Ryan and Laura said...

I think it's a complicated thing- moving. We had to do the walk-through where it's our job to nit-pick every negative thing, then you're expected to forget it all in 24 hours when you have the keys. You start to forget over time and you're just stoked that you have your own place. Enjoy it!!

Ali said...

OOoh, that would make me raging mad if they towed me too! I sure hope you get fully reimbursed and then some for all the trouble you had to go through! Congratulations on getting moved in...although it will take a while to get organized. (that's the fun part!) Don't be too hard on yourself for being negative- moving is VERY stressful and I think everyone understands...

Cecily said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. I think the critical eye toward your house is similar to the critcal eye we turn on ourselves. We tend to compare our worst against others' best.

Chelle said...

Yay..the worst is over! That really sucks about your couch...I would be complaining loudly too :):) Good for you for boticing your negativity & working on it. When I get in a funk I almost get determined to stay in it...poor Kevin, huh? I'm really excited to see some more pics of your place...even if it's not all put together yet.

Janice said...

congrats on your new home... hope things are getting better for you guys!

Mommy of three said...

Congrats on the purchase of your own cozy home! You are going to make it BEAUTIFUL, I'm sure. Please let me know if I can help in any way...including entertaining your children :)

Kristyn said...

Yeah! I am SO excited for you guys! And might I say that your life amidst boxes doesn't look nearly as bad as our moves and other peoples' I've seen. You guys are pretty organized! Good luck with the rest of the unloading.

Mrs. Case said...

My friend had the exact same floor plan as you do. I thought it was perfect!

Brooke and Aaron said...

You're human. Sometimes life's stresses get the best of us. That's good that you've acknowledged you could be more positive, so you're on the right track!! I have many of those moments when I listen to myself and don't like what I hear. Thank you for your example and reminder to be more conscientious of my behavior. About the towing...they messed with the wrong girl...Don't they know what your dad does for a living?