Thursday, October 8, 2009

Finally Fall!

Anyone else feel that? That crispness in the air, it's so refreshing! It feels like we have waited a LONG time for fall to finally hit around here. It was so hot for so long and now, we get to enjoy the cooler weather and leaves changing colors and pumpkin patches and fun Halloween costumes. Ahhh, I love fall! Here are some of the things I am looking forward to this fall.

The fashions of fall are so fun! I am loving this cute chunky sweater dress and how cute would it be with boots?


I love boots, but they are so expensive, so only one pair a year for me. I'm hoping for a pair like these:
Let's not forget about the great foods of fall. Try this one out:

Cream of Pumpkin Soup

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove crushed garlic
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. curry powder
1 cup half and half or milk
1 3/4 cups (16 oz) can of Libby's Solid Pack Pumpkin

In a large sauce pan, melt butter and saute the onion garlic until soft. Add the curry powder, salt and red pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Add broth and boil gently uncovered for 15-20 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin and the half and half (or milk) and cook for 5 minutes.

Puree some or all if you want a smoother soup. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and chopped chives. Serves 4, 1 1/2 cup servings.

I love the pumpkin flavoring too. Like the yummy pumpkin spice hot cocoa at Starbucks. It is a fun fall treat to replace ice cream (or maybe to have with!).


I'm of course looking forward to the holidays and the festivities. This will be the first year we will carve pumpkins with the kids. I love the roasted pumpkin seeds!
Trunk or Treating is always fun especially when your kids are really small. They get the trick or treating experience a little earlier and it is a much shorted distance for their little legs to go!
Then after the craziness of Halloween we get my b-day and Thanksgiving. Yay!


More than anything else, I am just enjoying watching my kids grow. Micah is already all over the girls. He is a big flirt, following them around. He even invited one to come home with him and watch Special Agent Oso. When we were leaving he blew her kisses! He is growing so fast and loving his school. He is fun and polite and sweet with his sister. Brooklyn and I have turned a corner in our relationship. After months and months of colic hell and then just a generally crabby attitude, I thought I wouldn't get around to liking her. Lucky for both of us, she has settled and has a much better demeanor now. She is learning to say things. her newest word is one we are trying to figure out. I am really hoping she is saying "ship" or something along those lines because right now her language is sounding pretty foul! Anyways, I think I am understanding her more and more and she is getting me. Although she is still very stubborn and strong willed, I am learning to pick my battles with her and she is becoming my little buddy!

Happy fall!

5 Quick Thoughts:

The Didlake's said...

Rachel, I tried the pumpkin soup recipe on Monday! Super yummy. Thanks!

The Burnetts said...

Hooray for fall! And I love the sweater dress...it'd look great on you (with the boots :)

Oh, the little ones are hard sometimes!!! I'm glad Brooklyn is getting a little better for you - I have issues with my kids daily. I always love em, but man, sometimes I don't like em!!!!

Janice said...

Finally! I do feel it in the air! I love these cool crisp mornings!

Carrie Braunalicious said...

I LOVE fall too. It makes me want to bundle up and take walks and crunch leaves. You look so good in boots, and that sweater dress is amazing. I love that Micah is such a flirt. Let's get our little girls together soon!

Russ and Debbie said...

I want to go boot shopping! :) We should go this week!