Friday, November 9, 2007

Need advice...again


So I guess this is less like a blog and more like a Dear Alice column for me. Seriously though, I do need advice. I am not sure what to do when it comes to Thanksgiving. Last year Chad and I went up to the bay area to spend Thanksgiving with Chad's brother and sister and their families. We had a lot of fun while we were there hanging out with his family. This year, Chad's entire family is going to be up north and everyone is going to spend Thanksgiving up there for the first time in years. It is kind of the going away party for his parents who will be moving to St. George in a few months. They are arranging for a family portrait and everything. Chad is excited because he is getting that new Rock Band game and I know the whole family will be playing it. Here is where the problem is. I am still not consistently feeling normal. I have more good days than bad, but I still have days here and there that I am sick as a dog laying on the couch. The last thing I want to do is go all the way up there and be laying on the couch as the stick in the mud. I also don't want them to feel like they need to take care of me. I have to eat within about a half hour of waking up or I will get sick and I don't want someone to go out of their way to help me. There is also the fact that my parents would like to have us for Thanksgiving this year since we weren't there last year. It's also my birthday, so they want to be able to celebrate with me. I also have friends coming into town that I haven't seen in a while, my dad is speaking in church that Sunday and of course the cost of gas as we travel 8 hours. I don't want to let Chad down either. He honestly thinks that I am making this up or something. He thinks that I am making up excuses to not go, but I really do want to go. At the same time, I have things pulling me in the opposite direction. I am really not sure what to do. Please let me know what you would do in my situation. I need to make a decision soon!

9 Quick Thoughts:

Annalee said...

Can you split the time 50/50? Go up there Wednesday and Thursday and come back here on Friday?? If his parents want you to come up bad enough, will they pay for your gas?? You are in a tough situation. Good Luck!

The Bradys said...

ooo not fun. i agree with annalee. u will still miss thansgiving with your parents but u will at least see your friends and spend your bday. u have another two weeks so maybe u will be feeling alot better by then. thats a tough one. good luck!

Carrie Braunalicious said...

Tough... we're going through something similar right now, too! Our first married holidays, and Nick's entire family always goes to Yosemite for Thanksgiving. So, we're compromising and being here for Thanksgiving Day with my family, then driving to Yosemite for Friday, Saturday and Sunday with the Braun's. I know what you mean about not feeling well, but since everyone knows you're pregnant, they'll have to get over the fact that you have some special needs. And if Chad's family is anything like he is, they'll fall all over themselves to make sure you're a happy camper.
I'm so glad to have finally started a blog so I can comment on what's new with you girls!

Kellyn said...

Well if you go maybe eveyone will take care of Micah and let you relax? take advantage of it!!! I know how you feel though.

Chelle said...

i would say to go to Chad's thing, because it sounds like a pretty rare occurance & like a big deal. Maybe you could have a separate birthday/thanksgiving celebration later? I love drawing out celebrations, so i like that idea! About being sick and traveling... i was extremly morning sick for Jeff & Ali's wedding and for Kevin's brother's sealing in Vegas. I did have some extremley unpleasant experiences...if you know what i mean, but i was so glad i got to go. let us know what you decide! oh, and you'd obviously have to do your familt for the next 2 years to make up for it!

Chad said...

Hey I never said I thought you were making it all up! I know you're sick and I know it's rough on you, but I was getting the feeling that your sickness was just a portion of it and that the larger issue was just that you didn't really want to go (and didn't want to come out and say it). Thanks for explaining it on here, though, I guess it helps to just spill your guts without being in a conversation. Last year we had a great time up there and I'm sure you'd have fun again this year, but I'll support whatever decision you make

Rachel said...

I love that Chad left a comment. That is awesome. Anyway, knowing that it is hard to get all the family together, I would totally say to go with Chad's family. I know it will be hard to miss out of things down here, but how often does the whole family get together? Your family should understand, and you know what, they will be around when you get back. And as for the sick thing, it helps to have distractions. Yes, after the trip you will probably be exhausted, but speaking from experience, having people around somehow makes you not notice how sick you are, until you are so exhausted from hiding it that you have to take a HUGE rest. Hope this helps!

Jennifer Dyal said...

I would definitely agree with Rach. Chad is so cute. He says he will support you and I love that. I think you should go. Family pics are so rare, especially extended family pics. On top of it, Chad's parents are moving. Your family will be around when you get home. Once Chad's parents move, you will see them so much less. Holidays are so tough, especially once the 'rents are far apart from each other. Now is a good time to talk about dividing holidays. Maybe you do this year with Chad's fam, next year with yours. This is one of my least favorite obstacles in marriage. Good luck! Isn't it nice to know you have such a great husband!?

SUMMER said...

How cute are you and Chad? SO nice that he left a comment. So- what did you decide? I think you should stay... especially since you weren't with your family last year. Both sound fun though.