Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Names, names, names

Chad and I are still having a hard time with naming this kid. Chad is dead set on the name Chelsea. I like the name, but I want to explore my options. I like names that are feminine, known, but not popular (I don't want her to have another girl in her class with the same name). Here are some names that I have gathered that I like: Sadie, Dylan, Delaney, Simone, Bryelle, Naomi, Stella, Tessa, Halle, Kate, Bria, Scarlett, Ruby, Lydia, Victoria, Sloan, Adelaide, Giselle, Lily, Willow, Callie, Evangeline, And Faith. I would love input on these names. If you have any suggestions, I am open to them. Right now, I don't even have a name I am leaning towards. I am just trying to find a name to fall in love with!

11 Quick Thoughts:

Mrs. Case said...

Ruby and Lily are both extremeley popular right now (I even blogged about the name Ruby-twice). I can think of at least two people who have each named their daughters that.

Kate, a derivative of Katherine, is a timeless name that has been used for centuries so if you want something very common, that's your name!

Sadie is also becoming popular, but I feel I should tell you that the pastor at church this weekend said they got a new bulldog and when they researched popular bulldog names, it is number one most popular for the breed. However, it is still a pretty name so don't let that sway you, lol.

Who named Micah? If it was you, you might want to consider letting Chad have this one! *wink*

BRYELLE is so gorgeous. Delaney is creative and unique. Willow sounds delicate and pretty.

I think you have a lot of good choices here. I can't wait to see what you pick! And don't forget, you can choose a middle name, too, in case you can't pick just one. In my fiance's family, nobody has middle names and they think it's a weird concept so just in case you thought so, too, I'm just throwin it out there that many people do have middle names (just in case...)

Chad said...

As I'm sure she'll tell you, I was the one that picked out Micah's name. I had picked it when I was a freshman in college and happened to come across an intersection while tracting on my mission which made it final:

http://tinyurl.com/384up7

The intersection of Chad Ct and Micah Dr! Destiny for sure. I also picked out his middle name "Ryan" since I thought the names flowed really well together, and Rachel eventually agreed.

With this one, I think the name Chelsea is a very noble-sounding name. It's not overly girlie, it's familiar yet not overused, not hard to spell, it's difficult for school kids to mock, and again I think it flows well with her last name. I'm not naming the girl after my old 1996 Mustang (which was also named Chelsea), and I'm not naming the girl after Rachel's friend (who is one of the most genuinely sweet girls I've ever known). I just love the name and I think it would be a great fit.

I'll also share a little behind-the-scenes action: As much as Rachel feels sick with this baby, as much as she'll swear up and down that THIS is the last pregnancy she'll go through, we all know to expect one more at some point. She's going to forget what these sicknesses are like, or she'll remember them but will feel like it was worth it and she'll eventually want one last baby (quote me on this). So, in the end, there will be six total names to come up with. I've already gotten two with Micah Ryan, Chelsea would be three and that would complete my half. I don't have a middle name in mind for Chelsea, nor do I have any plans for the third kid, so that leaves three names for Rachel to pick which makes it completely even. Does that sound fair or am I being selfish again without realizing it?

Ali said...

I really like Scarlett and Lydia!! And Chad, if you are planning on having that many more- then maybe give Rachel some time for "Chelsea" to grow on her? That's hilarious- your argument is really good though.

Chad said...

Well don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to push it on her. It's just the name I've fallen in love with, and she's trying to find the same thing. I want her to like the name as much as I do, but it might turn out to be the same situation as Micah where she wasn't completely head-over-heels about the name but once he got here and once we got to know his personality, she commented that the name fits him so well and that she can't imagine calling him anything else. If she eventually relents and calls the baby Chelsea, I presume it will only be a matter of time before she agrees that it's the best name ever in the history of the world ever

Chelle said...

I like Tessa and Giselle alot. Stella just makes me think of the skunk from Over the Hedge. If you like Lily but it's too popular, I know someone who named her daughter Lila...I don't know if that's popular too or not. I worked with a girl named Chelsea once, who was nice...but makes me not like the name THAT much :) I also have to add to the name argument that a first name has much more weight than a middle name...so you'd need to have 4 kids & let Rachel pick two of the first names for it to really be fair.....

Brooke and Aaron said...

I like Kate, Lydia, Callie, and Chelsea. I like Chad's reasoning too. It sounds like he's put a lot of thought into all of this. He's funny. I hope you DO have more kids. We will someday.

SUMMER said...

I have always liked the name Chelsea. And it goes with Micah! Lily is way too popular. Bryan loved that and Bella and they are so overdone (although I think they are both cute). Lots of those names were on our list and are darling! She will fit her name whatever it is! A girl... how fun!!!

Carrie Braunalicious said...

I love the names Kate and Delaney and I'm a fan of Chelsea!
I also love that Chad likes Chelsea because he thinks its noble. You know, so your daughter can grow up and marry a prince and not be named Princess Gertrude :)
Nick and I are going to take a list of names to the hospital and decide on a name after we meet the baby. Plus, then we'll still have something exciting to share when he/she is born!
You guys are so great and I can't wait to meet the next member of the Trotter family!

Kristyn said...

I really like Sadie. And I love how Chad sounds so determined on Chelsea, almost looks like you have no reason to ask!! :) Maybe like Micah, it will just grow on you over time. But how funny that you have a good friend named Chelsea! I'm glad you like her or that would be weird! Do you remember Angela Bohle from jr high? I was just thinking about her the other day. What an awful name! Sorry, but it's true!

Anonymous said...

What about the name Ava or Grace?

Miss Kayleen said...

Did you get some of those names from the names of shirts on layersclothing.com? :)