Saturday, February 9, 2008

Finding Middle Ground


I have to start out by saying that I am very appreciative that I have a helpful husband. He is great at pitching in around the house doing all sorts of chores. I can always count on him to do the dirty chores too. He will take out the trash and the diaper pail as well as scrub toilets. He is wonderful. Here is the hard part: Chad wasn't a natural at doing chores. For me, I have done it all, so it all seems very easy and obvious. I have a hard time when it comes to explaining what I want done and by this I mean, how much in the way of instructions. For instance, when I tell him the clothes are dry and to take them out, I would think that he would take them out and then put whatever is the the washer in the dryer. Isn't that what most people would do? Well he didn't and got upset when I asked him to take the next step. He basically told me he wasn't a mind reader and didn't know I wanted that done too. On the other hand, I asked him to mop the floors and being that we don't have a mop, that means get on your hands and knees to clean. He then asked me for step by step instructions. I almost had to do a demonstration for him as well as prepare the water and cloth for him. He seriously had no clue how to clean a floor. This is why I am having a hard time. I don't want to give him over detailed instructions and make him feel like an idiot, but I don't want to get too basic and have him upset that I didn't tell him everything. Does anyone else know what I am talking about? I think that partly it is my fault because I get in such a routine that I naturally think that if I tell him to do this, then he will do this afterwards just like I do. Maybe I should learn to be more literal, is that the way guys think?

4 Quick Thoughts:

Russ and Debbie said...

I hear you! Russ is great at helping out too... but sometimes he just DOESN'T get it. Like the other day he came running over so excited that on the washing machine, he found a "hole" to pour the laundry detergent in. He thought it was genius and he was surprised he had never done it before. When I explained to him that it was for the "fabric softener," we had to have a long discussion about laundry and how it works! :) I guess we should just be thankful that they want to help out! :) I'm glad we have such amazing husbands...even though it does take a little training! :) We didn't get any chores done today! Lucky you!!!!!!

Chelle said...

Ha ha. I was just talking to a girl at work about this. It is great that they want to help, but they really don't understand how cleaning works. Kevin just did the same thing with laundry last week. I asked him to "rotate it"...thinking that obviously meant to take out the dry stuff, move wet stuff to the dryer & get a new load started...not in Martian apparently. I really think this is a universal thing between men & women.

Mrs. Case said...

Preach on, sister! Rob and I have had this *exact* same scenario occur countless times.

SUMMER said...

This is a great post! LOVE the picture too! I have realized that sometimes it is easier to just do myself! More stressful of course... but less time. :)