Friday, February 15, 2008

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Well, I am quite proud of myself for being such a blogger lately. I never thought I would be good at keeping up with this. Anyways, I went to the doctor today to get my glucose testing. For those of you who have not been through it, you get a morning appointment and go in without having eaten breakfast. They give you a drink that basically tastes like orange soda (not bad at all, but hard on the stomach first thing in the morning) and you have to drink it in five minutes. After you have finished it, you wait in the waiting room for an hour until they call you back to prick your finger and find your blood sugar level to see if you have gestational diabetes. Micah went with me and and actually did really well. The nurses loved playing with him and he talk to the other patients about the cars going by. I was glad when my hour was up though and I went to the back. The nurse said my blood sugar level needs to be under 135 to be OK, so she pricked my finger and it came out as 136. She said she would take it again and so she did and that time it came out at 145! So they had to take my blood and that will get sent off to be tested. I get the results on Monday. I really don't know much about diabetes in general, but they said if I do have it, that I will have to go on a special diet and that the baby will probably be big from the high sugar levels. I shouldn't be surprised in the least if I do have it since this pregnancy has not been easy. Putting me on a special diet should be loads of fun! I am guessing no sugar and low carbs? I don't know, but that could just about kill me. At seven months I have gained 13 pounds, which I think is about average, but if they put me on a diet, I probably won't gain much more at all. Does anyone know about gestational diabetes or have had it? Any advice? I am still hoping for the best. I could deal without one more issue. I just want the rest of the pregnancy to go by smoothly. I never realized how good I had it with Micah until this little one came around!

6 Quick Thoughts:

Chelle said...

Rach, I looked it up on babycenter:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_gestational-diabetes_2058.bc hopefully you dont have it, it sounds like a pain! Let us know the results when you get them!

Kellyn said...

Wow, I don't remember having to wait an hour or the finger prick, I am glad to forget stuff like that, I do know when you have gestational diabetes they often take the baby early due to their abnormal weight gain, but that's it.

ashley said...

ok, i hope you don't have that. sounds like not a lot of fun to be on a diet when you are preggo, that is the one time your not supposed to worry about what you eat. good luck to your blood!

Jennifer Dyal said...

Rach... I was one of those lucky gestational ladies. Honestly, it does have it's definite downside. The diet is pretty strict, and really... it sucks while you're pregnant. I had to prick my finger about 5 times a day. If you have it, I would recommend pricking the same finger for a whole day. It is much easier to have one sore finger at a time than 5 a day. In regards to the big baby... Jack was only 5lbs. 7oz., and yes, he was full term. The lovely thing was, because of the watching my diet thing, I actually weighed less after I had the baby, than I did before I started the whole pregnancy thing. Seriously, it's bearable. Not fun, but very bearable. You can call me if you have any questions. Let me know, and I'll email you my number. Hope the results are in your favor. If not, breathe and just remember that no matter how much you want an apple in the morning, or how good that cookie sounds, a healthy baby is well worth the sacrifice.

Russ and Debbie said...

wow! that's crazy! i hope the tests come back okay and you won't have to worry about it! keep us posted!!!!

SUMMER said...

What? How did you just get a finger prick? I had to get a few tubes of blood drawn when I went! Maybe they changed things... I sure hope! Hopefully the tests will come back fine. Fun seeing you today! You looked great as usual. I saw your sister with Micah in the hall and he was just chatting away! He is amazing!