Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Traumatized

Well, this weekend we did the big move! We went from our little apartment to a three bedroom house in Mission Viejo. It is so nice to have more room. I have empty cupboards and I get to decorate like a grown up! It has been crazy though. I would recap Friday for you, but I don't even remember it honestly. I just know I got almost zero sleep that night. Saturday I made sure that everything was organized and ready to go for the men to move. I have to say we have some of the best friends in the world who are so willing to help out. They just show up and ask what they can do. Thanks Brett and Aaron! Our families were also so helpful. Micah and I went over to the house and we were unloading boxes with my mom, putting the kitchen together and whatnot. Then as the trucks rolled up with the big furniture, I got out of there and took Micah to Luke's 2nd b-day party. Great excuse to get away, but I should not have been driving. I found myself stopped at a green light! I guess that is what no sleep will do to you! Anyways, Micah had a blast and let me tell you this kid loves cake. When he was served a piece, he picked it up with both hands and opened his mouth as wide as he could. He was literally shaking to get his mouth to open wider! It was hysterical, but he was a total mess by the end!



When I got back things were looking good! I had so many people there working their buns off to get things settled for us. We are now pretty much put together, we just need pictures and shelves put up on the walls. The nursery needs to be painted and assembled, but otherwise, things are good, but I will never move this pregnant again and I would encourage others not to either!

Micah seemed to really enjoy the move for a while, but now I think he is traumatized. He doesn't get that we have moved. When we went back to the empty apartment to do some cleaning, he just started crying and needed to be held and kept saying "It's OK." When we head home or we are at home he will ask to go home and the other day, just about everything brought him to tears. I mean even going to wash our hands and he lost it. If any moms have advice on how to make this easier on him, please let me know. It just breaks my heart to have him so confused and upset.

On a side note, I had a couple hours of false labor on Sunday, so she should be arriving very soon. Hopefully not before I have the nursery together and the bedding for whatever-her-name's crib!

8 Quick Thoughts:

ashley said...

oh boy, that is a bummer...i wish i had some advice for ya, poor kid. we don't realize how small things make their whole world crash down. good luck!

Carrie Braunalicious said...

OMG- Micah shoving that cake in his face was one of my favorite moments ever. Seriously hilarious!

Brooke and Aaron said...

Watching Micah eat that birthday cake was hysterical and amazing. I've been thinking about you a ton lately. Moving is not easy. I've done it with a 6 day old baby and also 38 weeks pregnant and I think it was harder with a brand new baby, if that helps you at all. I know you're dying to get that baby out of you, and so are we, but perhaps it's good that Micah has you to himself right now. I was trying to remember some of the things we did to help Emma with this last move because it was hard for her too, as it is for Micah. I felt like she needed closure at the old place, so we took her to help us check out and as we left we all said goodbye to our house. Sounds dumb, but she liked being a part of that. Once we were at the new house, we tried to make this new place feel special to her. Anytime we'd come home to the new house, we'd say "Hoorah, we're at our new house! It's so fun!" We tried to play it up and soon she was convinced the new house WAS really fun. We talk about all the fun things we can do at the new house (that we couldn't do at the old house) and then actually do those things with her -- like play in the backyard with her new outside toys, bake in our big kitchen, etc. We also tried to get her room and toys set up as soon as possible so that she had access to all the things she loves and uses all the time. She helped us organize her toys and books when we moved in which helped her know where to find them later when she wanted something. When she'd feel overwhelmed at the new house she had her own room to find her special stuff. Try to make yourself available to him so you can hug him and soothe him when he needs it. It's easy to think, "Ahh, I don't have time for this! Stop whining!" (I did it!)...but he needs you to be available to him. Emma loves to help and feel included, so try to find jobs around the house that Micah can help you with. ...This is what helped us. I don't mean to lecture you or sound like I'm bragging because I'm not. Most of what I just told you was learned by trial and error. You know Micah better than anyone else does and you've probably tried all the stuff I just mentioned. The move was still hard for us but these 'tips' did make it easier, so hopefully this has helped you somehow.

Becky and Ben said...

I am so excited you did the move up to a house. We've had a house now for 3 years and we love it! We are actually going to be moving to a bigger, better, nicer house in a couple months. I am so excited, but man am I glad I'm not pregnant. When we bought our first house and moved into it, Brad was a couple weeks old and I had that c-section and couldn't lift 1 box. So I did no help with the moving, and it was so painful to beng over to take stuff out of boxes. I made Ben put all the boxes on the kitchen table so I wouldn't have to bend over. I would never do that again! But props for you doing it when you're about to pop. Hope all goes well!

AnnaMarie said...

Cool, I just found your blog on Becky's. I am glad to see that it is still a girl. I was nervous that finding out so early might throw it off.

Dan and Amanda Arrhenius said...

Besides the mad craziness of the whole ordeal! Congrats on getting a house! That is soooo cool! I am so excited to see what this little dooly is going to look like! Hurry and figure out a name!
Amanda

Mrs. Case said...

Im still shocked that you were even able to attend the party with everything else going on. You're my hero, LOL. Super mom Rachel to the rescue!

Let me know if you need help painting-for whatever reason, I excel at housepainting like no other; I'm downright meticulous!

Brooke and Aaron said...

I wanted to apologize for the freaking long comment. I totally rambled. Sorry. It was good to see you guys tonight!! We love any Trotter time we get!