Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ideas?


This is my front room. It is the very first thing you see as you walk into my front door. Pretty sad, huh? When we moved from the apartment to this house, we didn't have enough furniture to put in this room. All of the other rooms were covered, but this one was pretty barren. My in-laws were kind enough to leave us the two leather couches and a coffee table that I recently repainted and the armoir was taken from my parents house. Now, I am looking for ideas. I was thinking about recovering the cornice box in a nice fabric and then getting some complimentary drapery panels. I would need a few pillows to throw on the couches to go with and of course some art for the walls. I decided I should probably get rid of the coffee table even though I just painted it because A) it will never be clean with kids and B) it is glass and metal which is not the safest thing around young kids. Anyways, I am looking for ideas and please do not suggest I paint unless you want to come over and help me paint these 15 foot walls! I do not have a color scheme in mind, but I do need to incorporate the brown from the couches. Send your ideas this way!

THE END

10 Quick Thoughts:

Mrs. Case said...

Ideas:

1. Get bumpers for the table. It is a very flexible design and it's nice and neutral. No sense in getting rid of it.

2. Turqouise and brown is huge right now and would work perfectly with brown sofas.

3. I will come over and help you to paint.

4. Window treatments would work wonders.

5. Since the room is large, flip the couch so that it creates a wall of sorts (you'd be looking at the back of the longest couch when you first entered the room) which would make it look less sparse.

6. Hit up one of the two great consignment shops we have here to look for an entertainment center. Even if you didn't put a TV in, it could seve as functional space.

The Burnetts said...

You can use fabric to cover a blank piece of canvas to use as art on the walls (fabric that can easily be matched to coordinate with throw pillows and drapery panels). If you're feeling ambitious, you can easily make slipcovers for pillows so that you have the option of changing them...and, I agree - I wouldn't get rid of the table. Good luck! We'll be moving to LA in a few weeks to go to UCLA, so I'll be "redecorating" (as much as you can in an apartment :) soon.

Anonymous said...

I think drapes and paint would do it. I think with such a tall room you need bigger stuff in the room, like a huge framed mirror.
Kellyn

Russ and Debbie said...

you definately need a picture or art hanging on the wall that will add color and personality. Also, I think a warm wall color will also make it feel more welcoming when you walk in. Maybe a tan, a very light yellow, or a light sage green.

Russ and Debbie said...

btw. We missed you at pioneer day! I brought Micah some toys, maybe I'll drop them off later to you!

Carrie Braunalicious said...

Now that I've seen the room in person I feel like I have something useful to offer!
If you recover the cornis and put drapes across the whole back wall, it would serve the same purpose as a painted accent wall. I LOVE the idea of using coordinating fabric on canvas as art on the wall- easy and cheap. And maybe a decorative sconce on each side of the wall art? A long, skinny table along the left wall with some pictures or candles or flowers would be nice.
I have an overabundance of those 20% off one item from Bed, Bath and Beyond- I'll bring them to you.
I'm also willing to help- even if its' just keeping Brooklyn and Micah entertained while you work!

Ali said...

I'm not good in this department at all...but I love your leather couches! I can't wait to get real furniture like that.

SUMMER said...

I am so bad at stuff like this... Bryan is GOOD! You should have him come over and put his skills to work. It looks like you have a fun project ahead of you though and it also looks like your place is spacious! The yard is incredible!!!

Anonymous said...

Okay - All the suggestions were perfect but I would add just one thing. Create a cozier environment with a rug. Put it between the two couches if you put them in an 'L' shape and the coffee table on top. With paint, art, curtains and pillows... it'll be grand!

-Kristina

Kristyn said...

I don't have any ideas, but you have amazing tasste and I'm sure it will turn out perfect! Oh, you should call HGTV and have them makeover that room! That would be awesome!