Sunday, December 7, 2008

Some updates...

I figured some of you near and far could use a quick update on the family. First off, Brooklyn is a hand full. She is so stinkin' cute. Her colic is rare nowadays, but not yet gone. She has discovered her tongue and loves to make funny noises with her tongue stuck as far out as possible. She is also quite the gassy girl. She will let them rip without even flinching. It can be pretty embarrassing in public. I am sure some people are thinking we are just blaming it on her! She is also growing so much. She is a big eater and so she has thighs that are huge and a chubby tummy. I don't have small kids! Brooklyn is also very social. She loves to be out and about and meet new people to flirt with. She hates to be left alone or to play by herself. Basically, if she is awake, she needs attention!

Micah is as cute as they come. I love and loathe the age of three. With this fun amazing personality comes the independent spirit. He is always saying the funniest things. I should really write them down as he says them to post on here. The other day as we were driving to a park he said to me "Ok stop here, Ok stop here." When I finally pulled over to park he enthusiastically said "good boy!" I was cracking up! Anyways, I was putting some real effort into potty training last week. He did pretty good. He had a few accidents, but used the potty too. I was thinking we were making great progress, but he wasn't having it. He insisted on wearing diapers the other day. We said we wouldn't put them on him because he was too big. Well, being the determined kid he is, he got one out of his drawer and spent the next 15 minutes putting them on himself and he then proudly strutted around the house. You think he is anything like his dad?

Chad is still working at TechSpace. He loves it there. He loves what he does and he is really good at working with people. Usually the IT guy is condescending or just incapable of interacting with normal people. Chad is great at being the normal guy that can tell you what is wrong with your computer and leave your dignity intact. At home, he is the softie. I have to be the mean one and the kids know that dad will give in. In fact, Micah has made it habit when he gets an answer from me that he doesn't like, to quickly ask dad. Chad is happy to feed them whatever they want or let them stay up later or cuddle them until they fall asleep. I swear that Brooklyn puts up a fuss when he is home because she knows he will cuddle her if she is loud enough. I have proof:

He is definitely a great father and an amazing support for me!

As for me, well I have been pretty reflective the past few days. I realized that I am totally unforgiving of myself. I am quick to forgive others, but not myself. I don't know why. As a result I was feeling pretty crappy about myself. So what did I do? I overcompensated in other areas of my life to try to be the perfect mom, wife, daughter, etc. I was feeling bad about myself and then stressing myself out daily trying to do it all and be it all.

Hello, no wonder I was unhappy. Here is my strategy: 1. The Zoloft is a thing of the past. It made me queasy, lightheaded and on edge. 2. I am going to talk to a therapist this week as a present to myself. It is an expensive gift for me! 3. I am going to find a hobby for me. Something that I can get excited about! It is important to have some me time. 4. I have to make sure to keep up the prayers and faith. I know when all else fails, God is always reliable! I know he answers prayers and sometimes it is through friends (thanks Kristyn!) 5. I need to drop the perfection and learn how to deal with things as they are.

Christmas is coming up quickly and so tonight we are putting the Christmas tree together. Yes, its fake. I can't imagine getting a real one until the kids are much older. Micah is obsessed with the Christmas tree and I am impressed he hasn't unwrapped any presents. We also have a lot of things going on this week. What I am most excited about...I'm going to the Ellen Show with my mom! We are going Thursday and spending most of the day up in LA having some girl time. It should be a blast and a much needed break for me! We also have the RS Christmas Enrichment, the ward Christmas party and Sing Noel this week. Yikes! I am glad almost all of our Christmas shopping is done. Just a few here and there left to pick up. I am also still planning on having a little wrapping party probably around the end of next week. Hopefully it will work out and I can see some of you before the holidays!

P.S. I was looking up an image of wrapping presents and this one came up. Please come more appropriately dressed to my wrapping party or be very careful with your scissors! http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2407/2134468812_83d00dedd8_o.jpg

5 Quick Thoughts:

Kristyn said...

Hang in there Rach! And have fun at Ellen! I am so jealous, for some reason I just love going to see taping of shows. And call me anytime, I love you Rach!

Brooke and Aaron said...

That picture of the girl wrapping is going to be stuck in my head now tonight. Thanks a lot?! I hope you're feeling better. I've had some pretty low days too, so I need to remember what you said about relying on the Lord for strength. Sarah's right on about finding the lessons we are supposed to learn from our trials. Sometimes I just wish for trials to go away, but instead I need to pray for the will to endure them. You are such a good example to me, and I am heartbroken to be moving away from you. Can I talk you into moving to Utah too?

Unknown said...

OH man!! That picture is awesome! I am at work, and it came up on my screen, and I couldn't stop laughing...thanks for putting a smile on my face this Monday morning! LOVE YA!

Ali said...

Wait, wait, WAIT! You are going to the Ellen show this Thursday???? Doesn't that mean you get her 12 days of christmas gifts??!!

Janice said...

That picture is too much! Wow! I read your last post a few days ago and didnt have time to comment but have been thinking about you. I had a similar situation after Hendrix was born... its not you.. just those crazy hormones. Hang in there. Your tree looks great! :)