Thursday, January 8, 2009

It's coming...

For those of you who know my mom, you know she has been limping for a while. Her hip has been bothering her for a long time and since she doesn't like doctors, she let it go for a LONG time before she finally went in. Funny how someone who is always willing to cart you into a doctor is always the last one that will go in themselves! Anyways, she has gone in and time after time she has been given different diagnosis. They have said bursitis and arthritis and a pinched nerve, etc. That is an HMO for you! Well, my dad was sick of hearing all these different things and never seeing an improvement. I think he is actually sick of having to help her put her boots on! He was persistent enough to where they finally gave her an MRI, two actually. Finally, we know what it is. She has worn away all the cartilage in her hip. It is bone grinding against bone! She has met with an orthopedic surgeon and now it is official. She is getting a hip replacement on February 25th. I am so nervous for her. That's my mom going under the knife, so of course I am worried. I know she will do fine. She is a fighter and I am willing to bet she will make one of the fastest recoveries they have seen. She is going to be so sick of being in bed and taken care for two months that I am sure she will be dragging herself out of bed as soon as possible. Besides, I think she is petrified of a bedpan! In the mean time, she has to start using a cane to take some pressure off of that leg. For those of you who know my mom, you will agree with me when I say that she must have been a squirrel in another life. She hordes all things shiny and sparkly. So for now I am contemplating buying her one of these:


...or just encrusting one with rhinestones!

5 Quick Thoughts:

Chelle said...

I'm so glad they found out what it was & can do somthing for it!!! Kevin's Dad just had a hip replacement a few months ago & he loves it! After one more shoulder suregery he should be in full functioning order. :) We're thinking he might run a 5k in a while & be one of the few 71 yr olds running. He said he was in less pain even a week after surgery, when he was still in recovery. It sound really painful to have bone on bone!!! ouch!

Mrs. Case said...

Well, I know she has a difficult road ahead of her but I am sure she will be pleased with the results.

Let me know if you want me to bring your mom a casserole or something. Your poor dad will have to fend for himself and I know men can starve before feeding themselves. I'd be happy to come by and help her if need be. :)

Ali said...

That would be an awesome surgery get well gift :) She could use it in the hospital! I'm glad they figured that out for her...I wonder if my Mom has the same thing...hhmmm. She hurts too. Good that your Mom is moving forward with it to get it fixed!

Janice said...

I am so glad they figured out what the problem was finally. I am sure she will feel so much better a few weeks after getting the surgery since she has been in pain for so long! We will be thinking of her!

Russ and Debbie said...

Wow! I'm sure your parents are so relieved to find out what is really going on. I know everything will be fine. Your mom is such a trouper!!!! You'll have to let me know if she needs any help or meals! I'm just around the corner now! :) I think you should get her a bejeweled "bell" for her to ring when she needs help. :)