Sunday, February 21, 2010

Medical

Thursday night was the beginning of some drama for us. We stopped by Chad's sister's house to drop something off and while we were there, his sister asked to see his back. Apparently, there is family history of skin cancer. She took a look at his back and said "This doesn't look good. This looks really bad." She then went on to tell me about her experience of finding a spot that was stage two and then told me the melanoma mortality rate. I was a little freaked out and planned to make him an appointment to see the doctor the next day.

We left and headed off to meet Deb and Russ for Frapy's. If you are local and haven't tried it, you must. It is like the typical self-serve yogurt places, except their flavors are way better. Italian Gelato Kiss and Red Velvet Cake are among my top favorites!

Anyways, we were talking outside and Brooklyn kept wandering into the plants. At one point I grabbed her fist and picked her up just to turn her around. I heard a pop, like I had popped her knuckle. Well she loses it. She is screaming, crying and holding her hand. I pick her up to comfort her, but I can't calm her down. I hand her off to Chad and she is still upset. As we leave we say, "Well we will let you know if we are in the ER tonight." We thought we were being funny. On our drive home, she continued to scream and cry. Then I got worried...did I really hurt her? So we decided to head home and give her some Tylenol and watch it. We did just that and she was crying on and off by this point. Chad being as protective as he is of his kids decides we need to go to the hospital. Back in the car we go. First we head to Urgent Care just to see that it had closed two minutes earlier. OK, so off to the ER. As we sat at the light at the bottom of the hill the crying has stopped, she is now laughing and playing games. She is also using what we thought was the bum hand to hold on to her blanket. That little stinker! This whole time she was just putting on an act! If she is doing this before two, I am in for it big time! We headed home and she was just fine.

The next morning, I got up and checked her hand again just to make sure. No swelling or bruising, a confirmation that my daughter is a total drama queen! So, then I make an appointment for Chad to see the doctor in the afternoon. My mind starts to wander off to the worst case scenario. The mortality rate is playing in my head. What if it is cancer? What if he need chemo? What if he dies? How will I do this alone? I thought I was going to lose my mind and the day was just dragging. I was doing anything I could to distract myself. Cleaning, playing with the kids, going out for a walk, but I couldn't get it off my mind. Finally, the afternoon rolls around. Chad calls me. The doctor says the spots on his back all look fine and he shouldn't worry about it. They are going to biopsy them this week though just in case. Ah, I can take a breath. I felt like I had been holding it all day! Thank goodness it was Friday. My nerves were shot. I felt as though I was buzzing with stress by that point. At least it all worked out OK. Now I think I need a massage!

7 Quick Thoughts:

Carrie Braunalicious said...

You FOR SURE need a massage- that is crazy drama! Glad everyone is okay and healthy. You're a great mom/wife to be so worried about everyone else (and a great friend, too :)!)

Brooke and Aaron said...

Phew! Glad everyone is okay! Schedule that massage today! You do such an amazing job taking care of your family!

Mrs. Case said...

i;m glad brooklyn was ok!

where is frapy's??

this reminds me i need to see my dermatologist, too. sometimes i hate skin, lol.

The Bradys said...

ugh bigtime scary drama! so glad everyones ok and healthy. How funny would it have been to go to the er and say "i broke my daughters wrist!" lol my worst nightmare hahaaha go get your massage now!!!

Cynthia said...

Hey Rach...it's Cynthia from Cali.
First, glad to hear that so far it Chad's spot on his back looks ok. That is not fun to have to worry about your husband's health. You definitely deserve a massage after that stress!
Also, I read about Brooklyn's story and it sounds like she had nursemaids elbow. (something my niece and nephews have gotten and even my husband when he was a kid). So Brooklyn's elbow bone/joint was probably pulled out of place when you grabbed for her and then later when you were going to the ER and went over the bump, it popped back into place. It is totally common for young kids to get it (because their ligaments aren't as strong and they constantly are trying to pull away when we grab for them;)Total accident. Glad you went over the bump and it popped back into place so you could avoid an ER trip ($$$).

Cynthia said...

ok I just reread the post and I have no idea why I thought you said you went over a bump while driving. (Whoops..I need my reading skills checked). I still think it sounds like nurse maids elbow, though, and some how she got it popped into place while driving.

Russ and Debbie said...

wow! we thought you were joking too about the emergency room! Man.... that is a lot of drama! I'm glad everything is okay. Did Chad get his biospy back yet?