Wednesday, February 3, 2010

To go or not to go...

Today I went to Micah's Kindergarten Round-up. For those of you who don't know, it is basically an orientation to the school, teachers and programs available. In the process they gave us about a millions things to do (i.e. immunization charts to fill out, physicals to do, dental appt., forms, PTA to join, early bird vs. late bird, and so on). I left feeling very overwhelmed. First and foremost, we are on the boundary of three schools, so I am opting for open enrollment to get him into the school closest to us since it is rated the highest. The school isn't impacted, so it shouldn't be a problem. This means I won't know until April if he is in for sure though.

Well, after the whole presentation, I wasn't sure if I should even put him in this year. Micah is an August birthday, so he will barely be five when he enters. Along with this, the teachers went over a check list of the many things they want the kids to be able to do before they get into kindergarten. They asked that they are able to take care of all bathroom duties, can completely dress themselves, can open all their own food containers/wrappers, can sit and focus for at least ten minutes, take verbal directions and use scissors. Well, I still have to wipe him, he can dress himself, but the button on the top of his shorts are hard to get, he has a tough time with opening things like granola bars (those things are tricky buggers), ten minutes of sitting and listening is a stretch, don't get me started on verbal directions and although he can use scissors, I don't think he can cut out a shape. Among my other concerns are the early bird vs. late bird option. 7:45 am is really early for us, but 9:45 am is wasting the day away. Also, Micah doesn't participate well in group activities. He likes to observe, but isn't much for doing the group thing.

Then there all his great attributes. If you have ever met Micah, you will know this kid is super social. He has no fear of coming up and making friends with anyone, I mean anyone. He isn't intimidated and is always complimentary. He is also very smart. In fact, when they gave us the sheet of what would be covered in the year and he knows 98% of it already and is doing some reading. He also has known his shapes, colors, letters and numbers forever. He just has a thirst for knowledge. He can articulate how he is feeling and won't hesitate to let you know. He writes his name even if it is in all capitals and as I found out today that is a no no. Whoops, I still think he is amazing! Anyways, so considering all of this, what would you do? I still am flip flopping, is this the year to go or not?

P.S. I realize I have about seven months before kindergarten starts, but I'm just trying to think it out.

12 Quick Thoughts:

Cecily said...

After sending two to Kindergarten (one having been held back a year) I think I'm qualified to tell you it sounds like he's ready. And don't stress about the granola wrapper or the button/snap on his pants - much bigger kids still have problems with those kinds of things. I would work on the wiping thing though:) So SEND HIM! Even if it is in all caps . . .

Mrs. Case said...

no kids so i'm not qualified to give any opinions. No such thing as being too prepared when it comes to your child's education so good job on being proactive!

The Burnetts said...

Sounds like he's ready to me...all the kids can't possibly have a mastery of ALL those things. Just send him in stretchy waist shorts and put his granola bar in a baggie:)

p.s. Brooklyn's pic below is awesome! Lovin the panties!

p.p.s. We'll be at the Irvine Spectrum this Friday (is it supposed to rain that day?). Adam is having lunch with old colleagues and we'll be hanging out around Old Navy and probably grabbing Corner Bakery. Just thought I'd let you know in case you were around!

Carrie Braunalicious said...

I'm also COMPLETELY unqualified to be offering opinions on kindergarten, but I can say, knowing Micah, that he is a smart, well-behaved, straight up good kid and that ALWAYS is more important than being able to button your pants :) You'll make the right choice- and whatever you decide, Micah will be better for it.

Chelle said...

I finally decided to keep Kaleb back & start him next year, but he's a few months younger than Micah & seems to be on the same levels you're describing. Except for the thirst for knowledge, being able to read, ect... Geez, my boy really just doesn't care & won't pay attention. I say teach him to wipe & send him. Can you imagine teaching him the same curriculum for 2 more years? He'd be so bored!

Becky and Ben said...

Brad is a July birthday, but I feel he is totally ready. I don't know that he could open a granola bar by himself, but how many 4-year-olds can? I think Micah would do great. I am so proud of how smart Brad is, I can't wait for him to go to kindergarten and show up all the other kids! WOOHOO!! hehe

The Bradys said...

Rach I promise your fine! Micah is totally ready! All those little things as far as being prepared, he will master in 7 months, and if not, he learns when he gets there (ya except the wiping thing!)lol. It is totally overwhelming! A pain in fact! but sooo worth it. Micah is gonna thrive! if i know him, he will do so well and you will be so happy you did it. No matter what school he gets into, they all are great. we are lucky enough to live in this area where we dont have to worry about education. early bird late owl is something u should decide based on your schedule. 745 was way too early here also, jacks a late owl and I love it. hes out at one (you will love that whole part of the day to yourself and brooklyn) and then we have the whole rest of the day. but it works with my schedule with 3 younger kids here. and he is younger, but you can always do another year of kindergarden if you feel the need! but i guarantee he will be fine! dont stress! he will do great and he will benefit a ton! and you will be so happy u did it! and as for all that lame paperwork, come on over and ill walk u thru it ( i was lucky enough to have my sister in law whos a 3rd grade teacher at tijeras creek help me)! SEND HIM!!!!!!!! lol

Chelsea and Rusty said...

I would send him, first of all what child or adult would be able to listen and sit still for 10 full minutes!! If he is socially and emotionally ready i say go for it, like the others said he will learn the rest in no time, that is what school is for! But you might want to work on the wiping though ;) also don't worry about what the teachers demand of the children, just make sure that micah can socialize and express himself so that he can function in the world and all the rest will fall into place ( have i said enough already!?) Sorry i learn this stuff in my classes and i get really excited about it.....

Janice said...

I had this same debate whether or not to send my twins, but they have an october birthday, and I held them back. But August? You could go either way, he does sound ready... the social aspect is huge also and since he is so social, that will make things much easier for him. Just like someone above said.... I always unwrap their food and put it into baggies, put stretchy bottoms on them, and they wipe themselves but still aske me to do it again when they get home beacuse they dont do a super job ( hope thats not tmi)
You can always start all of the paperwork, physicals etc and see how you feel as it gets closer. At least you are thinking ahead... good luck :)

Valley Girl said...

Um... Micah is READY! We kept Jt home an extra year because I have read that boys develop later and slower than girls... but with micah who is already reading a little... he ids ready to be exposed to that school setting sooner...At least I think so. As for worrying about the things he can't do yet... you have time to get him there. And being in school where he is expected to do them it will surprise you how well he will rise to the occasion.
good luck... pray about it...

Mommy of three said...

He will be COMPLETELY ready by September, so SEND HIM! Micah is very smart, and will benefit from starting this next year. If you hold him back, he will be bored, which can lead to misbehavior in the classroom. It'll be great!

ashley said...

same struggle, but velz is going. i am sure they will figure things out and do great!