Monday, March 8, 2010

Cha ching!

I have to share my money savers this week. I am so proud of myself! I usually think of myself as a resourceful person and try to find ways to get a great deal, bring down the cost of something or arrange a trade of some sort. Well, with soccer sign ups coming up on Saturday I had been busy getting the AYSO forms filled out and getting Micah's birth certificate (I've never needed it before). I noticed after I filled out the paperwork that there was a small section about financial aid. I opened it up and all it asked for was for you to volunteer in some capacity. It also asked how much assistance was needed (50-100%). Wanting to save some money, I volunteered as the team parent (I hope I don't regret this later) and asked for 100%. When I went through the registration day, they looked at my paperwork and said "OK thanks!" That was it. Free soccer for us!

Another great buy was this:
I have had my eye on it for a while and thought it would go perfect in a car themed room. Well, I just happen to see in the Target ad that it is on sale this week for $34! Woo hoo woo hoo! I made that an early morning errand for me and the kids. Oh and did I mention I saved another $10 bucks? I did! Amy introduced me to this blog (check out the Gap recycled denim sale she posted about) and I decided to put a concerted effort into using coupons. I even bought a Sunday newspaper and cut them out. So yes, that makes my grand total for money saved this weekend $120!

Now here is where I run across a problem...I feel like since I have saved that money, it is now free for me to use. It is like "well I would have spent it anyways, so might as well use it." Not a good way to look at it. I also find that when I look through coupons that I think, "well I haven't tried this, but I can save money on it, so maybe I'll try it." So as much as I enjoy saving the money I wonder if I am actually spending more on items I wouldn't normally buy. I think some of it has to do with the time constraints they put on it too. Like those dang Michael's 40% off coupons. When I get one, I feel like I need to use it even if I really don't need anything there. I mean really, do we NEED anything from Michael's? Anyways, just a thought, but for now I am enjoying the idea of saving money!

4 Quick Thoughts:

Chelle said...

Yay...another website with saving $ tips! I love saving money...I was the annoying person at Target today with tons of coupons, but they saved me like $17!!!! Also...don't worry about using the Michael's coupons before they expire...you can usually find them at retailmenot.com. Just type in your store before going anywhere & see if there's anything good. I've only been on twice when Michael's 40% off weren't mentioned. Also, go here for free grocery coupons, no paper needed: http://grocerysmarts.com/california_southern/lists/splashg92ro1.php

Mrs. Case said...

Make a contribution to your IRA with the money you save. There will not likely be any social security for us and our own savings will literally be all we have.

The Didlake's said...

Oh, I'm so glad you went and got that. I was just going to call you to tell you it was on sale! Great saving Rach! Doesn't it feel sooooo good!

Russ and Debbie said...

I love coupons!!!!! I'm insane about it too... but hey why not save a few dollars, here and there... We should share coupon tips! :)