Monday, October 15, 2007

A couple things...

OK, I have to start off with a little bit of a rant. I have so many friends that swear by their crock pot. They love being able to throw food in it in the morning and have a meal ready by dinner time. I have used my crock pot twice now and both times the meal has been a disaster! No joke, the first one I threw entirely away and the second one Chad nearly gagged! I think I am a pretty decent cook, so when I hear about how easy this thing is to use and how it saves time, etc., etc., it really burns me when I can't get the easiest cooking tool in the world to work for me! If any one can point me in the direction of some good crock pot recipes (not beef), let me know!

This weekend we went to my cousins son's 8th birthday party which they held in a gymnastics gym. Micah LOVED it! He was all over the place. He was jumping on the trampolines almost the entire time and was so sad when we had to leave. He was pretty exhausted after that and was falling asleep about an hour earlier than usual.



He is getting smarter all of the time. He spells his own name now and says things that crack us up all the time. Some of my favorites are "What the heck?", "Oh come on!" and "Why he do that?"

I had to share this recipe. Very easy and always a hit. Great for large parties because it is a filling meal. I try to substitute some of the ingredients for low fat or light ingredients to lighten it up a bit. It is also one of those foods that gets better with time, so it is a great leftover!

Gringo Enchiladas

12 flour tortillas
2 cups cooked chopped chicken
1 small can sliced (or chopped) black olives
1/2 can green chilies
8 oz room temperature cream cheese

Mix above ingredients and roll up inside tortillas

2 cans cream of chicken soup (Campbells works great)
1 pint sour cream
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk

Mix above ingredients and put a small amount on the bottom of your cassarole dish (9x13 should work). Lay all of the filled tortillas on top. Pour the remainder over the top of the filled tortillas and reserve some of the cheddar cheese for the top. Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

3 Quick Thoughts:

Valley Girl said...

I HAVE SOME GREAT RECIPES... I WILL EMAIL THEM TO YOU, ONCE WE GET TO nv AND i FIND MY RECIPE BOOKS AGAIN. REMIND ME IF i FORGET!!!

Chelle said...

Val - send them to me too. I only have 2 crock pot recipes so I dont use it much. one is for pot roast, but that's beef. Let me know if you change your mind Rach, because I make a killer pot roast The other is for DCreamy Italian Chicken: 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 envelope Italian Salad Dressing mix
1/2 cup water
1 pkg cream cheese (8 oz)
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
Place the chicken in crock pot, pour 1/2 italian envelope on chicken, scoop cream cheese and condensed soup envely onto chicken. Pour on water and remaining italian envelope. Cook on low for 4-5 hours, shred chicken & serve on top of rice. Pretty heavy meal, but super yummy!!!

Mrs. Case said...

Two things:

1. A problem with crock pot recipes can be that beef is one of the few meats that holds up well in them. Beef is extremely sturdy. So! If your girlfriends had recipes, jump on that bandwagon!!

2. Because of your prior blog on Pomodoro's I HAD to go there to try their panna cotta. The food was mediocre at best but the dessert was DELICIOUS! Hooray for good dessert!!