Monday, January 28, 2008

Gordon B. Hinckley

It was so sad to hear that Gordon B. Hinckley passed away on Sunday night. He was 97 and a great president and prophet for the church. He put in so much service and love. He will be missed, but I know he loved his wife so much and was happy to be reunited with her. I was luck enough to meet him in person briefly. I was in Hawaii at the time and my cousin had asked me to watch her baby while she attended a sealing there. I was sitting outside on a bench with this tiny baby in a pouch when a bus pulls up to the temple. Out pop a few old men that I didn't recognize and then Gordon B. Hinckley. He was happily greeting the sister missionaries and almost seemed to glow. I was a good twenty feet away and couldn't quite go rushing to him, but he looked over and waved with a smile and told me to take good care of the baby. I had just found out the week before I was pregnant with Micah, so I kind of figured he meant to take care of both! Anyways, he will be missed and I know we are indebted to him for all the service he gave over many decades of his life.

3 Quick Thoughts:

Mrs. Case said...

Gordon Hinckley was a great man!

Russ and Debbie said...

I know!!! So sad! I thought he had a few more years in him... I was in shock! He was a great prophet and I will never forget him! :) That was a really cool story about the Hawaii temple!

Cynthia said...

Oh my gosh, I got the tingles just reading the post about when you met the prophet! What a great experience. He is such a great man and I am happy that he can be with his sweetheart again.