Thursday, January 24, 2008

What would you do?

My ward puts together a little group called Music Makers for the kids that are around 18 month to 3 or 4. It isn't a church thing really, more like a pre-preschool. Getting them to participate and sing songs, listen to stories, etc. It is totally free, but if you want to participate in it, you need to teach at least two classes. That isn't much of a problem except for the fact that I don't know many kids songs. I can learn though. Here is the problem...Micah is not a good student by any means. He doesn't want to participate at all. He won't even sit in a circle. He will watch from the other side of the room and run around the group in a circle or play the piano, anything but be a part of the class. Although he did start to dance to one of the songs and listened to the story, he otherwise is a big distraction. I was signed up for last semester and taught, but this semester I asked the person who organizes it if I could come to the first two and see how he does. I don't know if I should keep going, sign up to teach and hope he improves or if I should duck out for the sake of the others in the class. Is it rude of me to keep him in or should I stick with it to get him to participate more? Please keep in mind, I don't just let him have free reign. I will pull him in or hold him and make sure he isn't on the piano. He just does the limp body thing (which I loathe). Honestly, I need to know what you would do in my place.

By the way, I will put up an updated picture to show this large gut I am growing (she is even lower than Micah was) along with the new hair soon. I have a few things I need to blog about so I will get to that soon!

8 Quick Thoughts:

Kellyn said...

Maybe you should ask someone who has been going a while if other kids have an adjusting period, maybe alot of kids start like that and then get better. Or maybe he is like his dad and isn't into the whole public dancing and singing thing, I don't ever remember seeing Chad dance or sing, or act super silly in a big group. by the way, I feel bad I didn't mean to put up that post of Taylor crying is wasn't finished yet..oops.

Mrs. Case said...

Having no children myself (yet) I am not qualified to give parenting advice. However, from an outsider's perspective, I think it is good that you're using positive reinforcement by doing your best to make sure he's engaged and by continuing to participate. If you'd quit, he would've gotten the impression that if he doesn't like something, all he has to do is let you know and he won't have to do it anymore. I watch that Nanny 911 show and she is always talking about positive reinforcement...it sounds so much better to be firm and kind than mean so I think you're doing the right thing by continuing to go. The class is a good experience for him, I'm sure, so I think he'll probably warm up. I believe in "motherly instinct" so if you think it is a good idea to go to class, you're probably right.

Sarah said...

Like the previous post, I am not a mother, but I am a lover of nanny 911, and I agree with the postivie reenforcment. I think it would be good for Micha to learn that he needs to pay attention, to prepare him for preschool. I can imagine how frustrating it must be though. But Brooke always says how good your lessons are, so that is a plus! Good luck with whatever you do!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can try story time at the library first to aclimate him to it. With storytime at the library you would never have to teach and could be around to help him adjust. I know it can be kind of stressful to have to worry about your child's behavior AND teach.
Cynthia

Brooke and Aaron said...

I agree that you need to follow your motherly instincts. You know Micah better than anyone else does. Don't quit just for the sake of the other moms. We all understand and have all been there (or are still dealing with it). Do you remember how Emma was when we started last September? She would always stand in the middle of the circle, blocking the other kids views..like the class revolved around her. She'd rarely sit with me. Most of the time she was participating, but on her own 'schedule'. Oh, and do you remember her pushing Macie and Rebecca almost every class? She was really sassy and it was hard for me. I've seen a lot of improvements in her (and the other kids in the class) so I'm glad that we stayed with it. I think it is good training for preschool, like Sarah said, because it teaches them to follow directions and socialize with other children. Keep up that positive reinforcement. You're a wonderful mom. I also agree that you need to be firm but kind, that's always been the best parenting approach for me.

Brooke and Aaron said...

One more thing...There's a lot of things that my children would have missed out on if I hadn't gone just because it was too hard for ME, as the mom. Try to think about what Micah has/would gain from doing activities like this. If you do quit Music Makers I would suggest that you still do play groups and other things with him. But you already know that. I know you do a lot of fun things with him.

SUMMER said...

Shoot- I am bummed I have been missing this!!!

Carrie Braunalicious said...

I say totally keep him in! Brooke is right- every other mom there has been in your position one way or another. And if you let Micah learn NOW, it'll make the transition to school that much easier. Good luck- let us know how it goes!