Friday, August 29, 2008

Let's Get Political


OK, so all we seem to hear about on the news is the race for the White House and now more than ever there seems to be a huge party line. The Democrats and Republicans seem to hate each other with a passion and blame each other for everything. To tell you the truth, I am not really excited about candidate or party for that matter. I think that a lot of my generation tends to lean towards the Democratic party because we would like to pride ourselves on open-mindedness and tolerance, right? That seems to land a person squarely in the Democratic side of things since they seem to think that we should accept anything and anyone. Those who side with the Republicans are supposed to be the Bible bashing closed-minded type, right? So, which side do we choose. I then have to ask WWJJ? No, not what would Jesus do, but which would Jesus join? He is supposed to be our best example, so if He chose a party, it would be the side I would want to be on. I think He would like the charity and tolerance that the Democratic party seems to embrace, but disagree with their pro-abortion and gay marriage views (at least His dad wouldn't be happy with it). On the other hand, I think He would like the values and frugality that the Republicans claim, but not be thrilled that they tote around guns and don't have much regard for this beautiful earth He created. So Jesus would be an Independent (he has always been that type) and in this day in age, that is a throw away vote. So I have to chose a side and hope for the best. Sad that after hundreds of years our political system hasn't evolved as much as it should. I wonder if our forefathers would be proud of what we have done with this great country or hide their heads in shame knowing that there is so much corruption and red tape and that party lines in this contry have become much like the divide between North and South Korea. Do not cross and even though you might actually like someone on the other side, they are automatically the enemy, right? The worst part is that once you pick a side you take on all the stereotypical views. So if I say I am Republican, I must love guns or if I am a Democrat I am on the gay pride float. No happy medium yet, but let me know when there is a better party to join!

6 Quick Thoughts:

SUMMER said...

Rach- those tutu skirts were old navy about 2 months ago... I would look on ebay.

bryan said...

rach,

I know tons of dems that aren't gay and tons of reps that don't have guns. You're free to think however you want, just vote for the candidate that most closely shares your views and values. Stop stressing you're to young!

Ali said...

It is overwhelming, but if you just pick a party so that you can technically vote within a party, you can decide however you want on the actual individiual issues and people!! Jeff and I just this year have started taking an interest in politics and we don't even know the half of it, but we are trying to learn and its fun to get involved. I would so encourage your vote though cause you are normal and good :) There are too many not so good and ignorant voters out there I think.

The Bradys said...

I agree with bryan. In all honestly, no matter what you are, youre gonna disagree with some things and agree with the other side. I think politics are a load of crap! I dont think people should be labeled as either, I think they should follow their hearts and vote based on their own opinions and which candidate they share most of the same viewpoints with. I hate guns, dont mind gays, not a fan of abortion, dont read the bible and I will be one of the most open minded people you will ever meet. Puts me on both sides huh?!?! Like bryan said- dont stress, youre too young. So many people are in your boat...

Chad said...

I suppose this is why we're married, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Brad Frandsen said...

I have been thinking about your political post and the only answer I could come up with is... what ever the media is promoting do the opposite. The media these days seems to be promoting a lot of propaganda... so just steer clear of what they want you to think is normal and good.