Thursday, August 21, 2008

My talent

I've never considered myself a very talented person. I don't sing or play an instrument, I don't play a sport or dance exceptionally well and I don't think I am really crafty or creative. I tend to have the more obscure talents like carrying babies well during pregnancy and being a good multi-tasker at home, oh and I am great at making beds! Well, I just discovered a new one. I am great at being poor! I have to thank my parents for helping me out with this one. Growing up we were well taken care of, but we weren't just given everything we wanted. We had chores to do and allowances, so if we wanted a new Barbie we had to save up and sacrifice getting the bouncy ball or My Little Pony. Over time, I learned how to budget and through college I managed to always make ends meet with my allowance. Today we have zero debt and don't even have a car payment! I have a talent that I have honed over the years. I can make a budget stretch and find amazing deals. I have learned how to save money by doing a lot of things on my own too. I am willing to sweat through the day to avoid using the A/C and I am happy to take hand-me-downs for the kids. I am a master at creating new dishes using ground turkey, rice, chicken and pasta (some of the cheapest items to buy). I can find a coupon for nearly every activity I bring the kids to and can dine on a dime. I am not above scrubbing toilets or yardwork and I can always wait to save up for an item that I want (or until it is on sale which is even better!). I am willing to go all the way home hungry to make my own food to save some money. It is a good thing I am this way because my husband is the opposite. Chad has expensive taste and is all about convenience. He turns on the A/C as soon as he feels uncomfortable and goes out for every lunch. He hates manual labor and always wants to hire someone. I should sit back and complain, but I can't. His spoiled ways are something he has gotten used to and something he wants to keep up, so if he is willing to work hard enough to afford it, I am just fine. Maybe one day he will make it so that I won't have to use this talent of mine as often!

7 Quick Thoughts:

Mrs. Case said...

I'm allllll about being frugal! I have the same talent as you but can also be prone to extravagances like Chad. Ah, the best of both worlds. Your kids and you are always dressed adorably and you're very well put together so rest assured there's no sign of bargain bin hunting to be found! In this economy your so-called "talent" is a precious commodity.

Carrie Braunalicious said...

You should also add that in addition to being wonderfully frugal, you're a great mom- that's a HUGE talent. Evident by Micah's super fun and super frugal birthday party, you are teaching your kids that having fun doesn't mean spending money. That is invaluable.
In fact, you inspired me to make cupcakes today, though they weren't half as good as your imitation Sprinkles :)

Ali said...

Jeff and I are the same way...but roles reversed. If ever we disagree, it's most likely over me thinking he's being TOO frugal. When he saves us a lot of money though, I LOVE his frugality and research in finding the best deals...good for you!!

ashley said...

that really is a great talent to have. luke is that same way with the a/c and it drives me nuts, good thing we don't have that option right now, or is it?

AnnaMarie said...

Good for you. Share your dining on a dime and cheap recipe ideas!

SUMMER said...

This is Bryan and I to a T!!! I am the cheap one...

Russ and Debbie said...

you are an amazing deal getter! Keep up the good work! :)