Thursday, January 28, 2010

Laying Low

We have been laying low lately. These two are sick and contrary to popular belief, it isn't from our rainy Disneyland trip. We were around sick friends at church. Bummer! Brooklyn is snotty. By the way, if you catch a glimpse of her "emmo" undies, she isn't potty trained. She likes wearing them over her diaper for now!
This poor kid fell asleep in the middle of the day and we finally had to wake him up. I hope they recover soon!
As for me, I had a little epiphany. I was looking at a craft from this blog and loved the New Year's resolution plaque.What struck me was the "Be Present" resolution. What I find is that I often get anxious when I am thinking about things in the past I can't change or things in the future I have no control over. Healthy, right? Well, that is why "Be Present" strikes a cord with me. For anyone that has been anxious or is generally a worrier, being worried feels like an almost out of body experience in a way. You are sitting there, but you aren't being there. You are caught up in your thoughts and aren't truly interacting or participating in a genuine way. Perhaps you are feeling a bit fake or like you are putting on a show? Well, I have found peace in being present. When I start to worry, I have to stop and just sit in me and only think about what I am doing at that very moment. Not what I should be doing, not how others do it, not what I need to do, not what I have done, not if it is good or bad, just what I am doing. It brings me back down and as cliche as it sounds, it centers me because I feel like my thoughts and body are together rather than drifting apart. I've heard that I should count my blessings to make myself feel more at ease, but that seems to be counteractive. I feel more blessed than I feel I deserve at times and then I feel guilty. I know I have an overly active conscience. So for me, being present is doing the trick. Besides, we aren't supposed to worry according to Deut. 31:6. Think less of the journey and purpose as a whole and enjoy the adventures along the way, right?

6 Quick Thoughts:

Valley Girl said...

Oh no... sick babes... feel better soon!

As for being present... i totally struggle with that too... do you remember that story in Especially for Mormons titled "The Present?" totally gonna have to find it for you.... so good! a tear jerker.

Carrie Braunalicious said...

I totally hear you on the "Be Present" thing, Imagine how much slower and more peaceful life would be if we just focused on the moment. Not always possible, but doable at least for a little while every day.
Hope the little ones feel better soon-we want to play!

The Burnetts said...

Absolutely...glad you acknowledge what will help you stay focused on the "now". Your little epiphanies (sp?) always inspire me to be better, so thanks! And hope your little munchkins get better soon - that's the worst!

Chelle said...

Being present was my 1 & only New Year's resolution last year...and I'm still working on it. I think (for me anyways) it one of those things to be constantly working on. I hear you about worrying & the funny thing is that when things that I've worried about actually happen they're never as bad as I thought they would be. If only there was some magic button to fix things you know you need to change!!!

Ali said...

anxiety, anxiety. I think it's in a girl's bones. Why do we worry so much?! Nothing like this trial with Evan's surgeries has taught me more to live in the present and enjoy the good moments and not worry about what's to come...but I'm sure it's something I'll have to continue to remind myself of! I have gotten better at it. It's definitely one of the best things we could all improve on, I agree.

Janice said...

Love Love Love that resolution plaque! Hope you are all feeling better!