Friday, January 1, 2010

Resolutions

I'm not a big fan of resolutions. Mostly because people set a new standard for themselves that is too high and it just leads you to inevitably fail. For instance, the person that says "I won't eat anymore sweets" goes from having sweets on occasion to cold turkey. Feeling so deprived, the person will give in and once they give in they feel like a failure and then say "screw it." So the person that would occasionally have a sweet is now binge eating ice cream and chocolate. OK, so that was a bit long for my intro, but you get my point. For this reason, I want to make my New Years resolutions much more tangible. For that reason, I think I will be starting all of them with "I will try..." Doing this means I win even if I just try. I know, total cop out, but I will try!

1. I will try to not let a crazy day with the kids frazzle me. I want to refer to those days as "adventurous" and be able to laugh at them.


2. I will try to spend less time on the computer and more time playing on the floor with my kids. They won't remember or care if I chatted with my friends online, but they will remember playing with puzzles, dolls and racing cars.

3. I will try to walk more often. Since I am nearly at a stand still with this one, any effort will be a win for me.


4. I will try not to let chores pile up on me. I don't want my sink piled with dishes or laundry towering up against the wall. I will try to do a little bit at a time as I go.

5. I will try to treat myself to at least one luxury a month. Whether it is a pedicure, a new top or buying myself flowers, I need to do that for myself. I deserve it and I need to take care of myself to take care of others.

6. I will try to be more at ease with imperfection. I don't want my kids to feel like they need to be perfect and I don't need that stress in my life.

7. I will try to clean out and organize our home. I know, after reading the one above, it is counter intuitive. I said I would try! Anyways, I figure if I chose one closet (or even a half) at a time each week, I could have it done soon. I already got Brooklyn's closet done!


8. I will try to be more positive and give the benefit of the doubt. Positivity is infectious. I want to be able to spread a little joy to those around me. You always feel better when you have a positive outlook on things.

9. I will try to shave more often. It's winter, I am falling behind on it. I'm growing my own blanket? Just kidding. Really though, I rarely get enough time in the shower to shave and so I end up with Big Foot legs. Oops!


10. I will try to develop spiritually. I'm now a Sunday school teacher with Chad and I am scared to teach, but I think it will help me to grow and develop a new skill. It will give me not only the opportunity, but the necessity to learn the lessons and study the scriptures.

I think that is all for now. I am sure I could go on and on and on, but those are the first to come to mind, so they must be the most important!

5 Quick Thoughts:

Valley Girl said...

amen!

Carrie Braunalicious said...

These sound awesome! I'd love to help in the walking department- I miss walking and chatting with you girls!

Ali said...

Oooh, good resolutions. I'm going to have to adopt the once a month pampering and spending less time on the computer myself:)

Good luck teaching! I'm sure you'll do great...I have to say though, that's on my top 5 of most feared callings:)

Chelle said...

Nice goals...there are alot of them. I like the "I'll try" thing. I don't usuallly even bother with resolutions because it seems like a set-up for failure. "I'll try" is much more realistic & will probably esult in you accomplishing them!

Mrs. Case said...

good plans!

btw, still waiting on (bigger) shots of the family portrait and a tour of the new house! :)