Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Who's more traumatized?

Maybe I am too honest with my kids. Today as we were getting ready I told Micah we were going to the doctor to get four shots. He was not excited, but I explained that we were getting shots so that he could go to school and that for every shot he got, I would get him a new car. That didn't get him excited, but at least he wasn't as opposed to it as he was before. So we get ready, jump in the car and head to the doctor's office.

When we arrived, I opened the car door for Micah and he said, "You just hate me." Talk about crushing a mom. I gave him a big hug and told him there is no way I could hate him. I love him so much and have to do this for school or else they won't let him go.

Into the office we go. Feeling kind of crappy now. They take Micah in and the nurse gives him his first two shots. He crumbles. Now I have to turn him around for them to get his other arm and he is still crying. Shot number three was a killer. He screamed so loud my eardrum was hurting. That is when I started to cry. Having your baby in pain is the worst!

So now I am wiping away the tears and the nurse decides to rub salt in the wound. "You know he is going to remember this. They don't remember it when they are babies, but they do at this age." Thanks to Miss Warm and Fuzzy for making it easier on me! As a mom, I take into account all that I know and try to make the best decision for my kids and I think the medical staff should be supportive of that.

From what I know, I do not feel good about giving young babies shots. I don't think they are as safe as they should be. I also consider the sensitive system I have. If the kids have inherited that from me, they could very well get any and all side effects from the shots. That being said, I also feel that they are important to get at one point or another. I choose to wait until my kids are older and sturdier. Totally a personal thought out choice. To each their own. Anyways, although Micah is not a fan of shots and won't be looking forward to more next month, I think the now cars he got help keep his mind off his sore arms!

5 Quick Thoughts:

Mrs. Case said...

i know three people with children who are permanently impaired from getting bad vaccines. you are making the best decision for your family and her unsolicited opinion was unprofessional at best. in fact, i'd say something to the doctor because he needs to know if his staff is speaking out of turn and making inapropriate comments. if i were the doc, i would want to know! if i had kids, i'd delay their shots, too. you are the person who needs to be most comfortable. if something did happen, god forbid, you'd need to be able to live with yourself and reconcile that you did your best, ergo, i think you are a great mom and making great decisions (i know this means nothing coming from someone with no bebes but still...for what it's worth, lol.)

Sarah said...

Shots are the worst, and that nurse should not be a peds. nurse...what the heck? I don't think he'll remember I don't remember EVER getting shots...do you? He might remember in like 2 or 3 months, but in the long run, he'll have no idea :)

Carrie Braunalicious said...

UGH- I am going to SLAP that nurse!!! Who cares if Micah remembers?!? The only people who like getting shots are DRUG ADDICTS and I don't think that's your career goal for him. Next time, tell her she can suck it. And while it may not be fun, you made the right choice for yourself and your family. Great job.

Chelle said...

What a weird nurse, what's her problem?!?! I delayed Kaleb's shots too (just by 6 months or so), it just seems like too much for an infant to handle. They can't even eat food yet, geez. Even if he does remember, don't you think he'll remember that you cried right along with him & realize how much you love him? Oh, and when we went to get shots for Kaleb I told him & warned him that they hurt a little, but he still didn't get it & was excited to get a shot...I think he might have thought it was a toy or something. So sad when the realization happened!

Brooke and Aaron said...

Only you can decide what is best for your family. I support you in that 200%. I totally agree with Sarah....this won't be a lasting memory for him, so he'll be just fine. You're a great mom! Remember that!!!