Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Cleaning products

So in a few weeks I will be moving into a bigger place and have another child. In a nutshell, more house to clean and less time to do it in. A little overwhelming all at the same time. I want to be able to keep the house clean, but not spend all day doing it everyday. I know that I have a few secret weapons in my arsenal that will help me out, but I was hoping that I might be able to get some advice from other experienced moms or neat freaks like myself. What cleaning products do you use that are both effective and easy to use? I am also looking for a really great stain remover for clothes. Shout hasn't quite done it for me and I just got the new Spray 'n Wash with Resolve Power. I will let you know if it works out for me. Micah likes applesauce and yogurt and as much as you would think it wouldn't be a big deal, they seem to leave stains. The applesauce leaves yellowish ones on his white shirts that irk me! Anyways, I know I couldn't get by without CLR Kitchen and Bath. I use it all the time along with Pledge Anywhere Wipes. I can use one wipe for windows, counters, electronics and even wood. Those are such a time saver. Feel free to share your cleaning secrets with me. I promise I won't tell!

10 Quick Thoughts:

The Bradys said...

FOLEX... thats my secret weapon! It gets the stains out of anything!!! i use it on couches, carpet, clothes, u name it! Get it at target... in a white bottle with maroon writing. Other than that i use windex for just about anything, and yes of course my wipes that i use on a daily basis!

Jennifer Dyal said...

Ha!!! I use pledge all the time for my piano and coffee table. I always wondered about the multi-surface pledge. Now I know... THANKS!

Anonymous said...

You're friend above beat me to it - Folex! It can be found almost anywhere and is rather inexpensive considering you'll have it for a long time. We found out about it with Daisy and thank goodness - because I wouldn't know what I'd do without it.

You might also want to try Oxyclean if you're not using it already. I found that it just brightens whites more than anything else will - it might even get that applesauce residue out.

Good luck! I'll definitley have to check back to see what other tips and tricks your friends come up with.

Kristina (my password isn't working)

Chelle said...

I'm just here for the advice from others, but I do have to say I love my roomba. I haven't vaccumed in 4 months. Just press a button & leave the house for a couple hours. I do love Folex, but haven't used it on anything but carpet, i'll have to try it out. Nothing works on our stupid couch, even water stains it.

Brooke and Aaron said...

I love Swiffer WetJet! It saves a ton of time on tiled floors and I think its the best!! I use "Tide with Bleach Advanced Power" for those tough stains. They have it at Costco. For those set in stains, I make a paste (by mixing the Tide detergent with a little water) and let the paste sit on the stain overnight. The next morning it will be dried and crusty, which is normal, then I throw those clothes in with a load and 99% of the time the stain comes out. It's been a lifesaver for me! I can show you what I mean one day if you'd like. Also, I concur with everyone about Folex. That stuff is amazing. You have to have it. By the way, I just wanted to tell you that I think you are such an amazing mom. I was thinking about that Wednesday when Micah wasn't all that interested in music. Remember, patience is a virtue! Chad and your kids are so lucky to have you. I'm grateful to be your friend too!

Kristyn said...

I have never heard of Folex! Apparently I am out of the loop! Thanks for the tips everyone. I heard Oxyclean is a dream come true though. I personally use a lot of my 'Grandma's soap', this random stuff my grandma used to make w/ bacon fat. Weird, but I use it all the time and it works like a charm. So I have no tips on products, but I have a tip on cleaning schedules. You're super clean, so maybe you don't need this, really I should call you!, but the best thing I've found for keeping up with a lot to clean as far as a house is to give assignment to each day (vacuuming Monday, bathrooms Tuesday, etc). It really helps me to keep on top of it and not feel overwhelmed. And that way I don't spend too much time cleaning any single day. Hope that helps!!

The Bradys said...

kristyn is right... a schedule helps me too! i usually am able to keep up with my schedule either in the mornings when the kids are the most content or when i put them down for a nap in the afternoon. cuz lets face it, i hate to clean but its my job, and i never have a single day where i can get it all done, spread it out!! o and also, i tagged u... so get to it!!

Mrs. Case said...

Want Rob and I to bring the Trotters some Cold Stone tonight? Your combo sounds delicious!!

As for the keywords, you have to have Statcounter on your blog. If you don't you can download it at www.statcounter.com. If you do have it, log in and on the left, there will be "keyword search results" or some mumbo jumbo that says "keyword". It reveals what people were searching for when they found your page, where the person lives, etc. Statcounter has many, many cool features!!

ashley said...

i am not a neat freak and i stink at keeping a clean house...sorry no help here!

The Burnetts said...

ZOUT for stains...you can get it at WalMart and I think Target carries it as well. It's what my mom always uses and it's never failed me yet (as long as you get it on the stain fairly quickly)!