Monday, June 2, 2008

Safest City in the US?


I came home today to two cop cars in front of my house. I of course go inside asking Chad what the heck is going on. Come to find out that our next door neighbors had their house broken into over the weekend while they were out of town! Usually we don't spend much time at home on the weekend, so we didn't notice anything. Here is the strange part: the guy cut his hair there, went to the bathroom (and clogged it), opened the mail, but took nothing other than some cash. Sounds like a druggy to me. Well, Chad said that he didn't want to tell me because he thinks I am paranoid as it is. If you call someone that locks up their house and car paranoid, then that is me. Chad seems to trust any and everyone. He doesn't lock up a thing and never suspects anything will ever happen. I have had my car broken into before, so I know how it feels. Anyways, yes, I am a little more paranoid now that this "incident" has occurred next door. I will make sure to double check the locks each night and when I leave the house. The problem is that one of my back doors basically looks like a freezer door in a grocery store and the other back doors are all glass too with no screens. Maybe we should look into an alarm system or maybe a big dog. Yikes!

7 Quick Thoughts:

The Bradys said...

ok thats creepy! i am not anywhere near paranoid necessarily, however i am the biggest chicken when it comes to that kinda stuff. we were having cars up and down our street and neighborhood gettin broken into on a nightly basis for a few weeks probably about 2 months ago and to this day i am still paranoid to go outside past 9pm. no joke, i am a wuss. i hear a rabbit hop 15 feet away and i sprint to my front door like its friggin freddy kreuger. chicken i tell ya! id be spending the night at my parents if i were in your situation lol

Chelle said...

Scary! I don't think it's paranoid to lock things...it's smart! Kevin's parents had this cool alarm system in their old house that would tell you what door or window was open. Probably handy with a toddler, but I bet it was pricey. We just installed a deadbolt to keep Kaleb from excaping & running into the street!!!

Becky and Ben said...

ok, so I am just like you. I lock everything and double check it. I'm paranoid about someone breaking into my house all the time. I might go even a little overboard. I won't even answer my door unless I am expecting someone to come over. I've just heard about robbers pushing their way into your house after you open the door. A couple weeks ago someone rang my doorbell at 10:30 at night (when ben was out of town for work), so I called the cops I was so scared. I slept with the gun that night. I just feel that my safety and my family's safety is number one in my book.

Mrs. Case said...

Actually, there is no need to get a big dog, a small one will suffice. Statistically, a burglar is more likely to abandon his quest if he hears a dog of *any* size barking. Dogs are much cheaper than alarms and a welcome addition to most families. People tease me about Paris being so small but darned if she isn't the best alarm I've ever heard! Obviously you wouldn't be in the mood to train a new dog since you have a newborn, but there are lots of dogs already housebroken, etc. at the shelter and it is much cheaper. You can never be too safe when it comes to protecting the kids.

Carrie Braunalicious said...

I am totally like you and Nick is totally like Chad. His family doesn't even own a key to their own front door- we came home from a family vacation with them one time and they called the cops BECAUSE the front door was locked! Creepy story, but you're probably right about the crazy druggie- not that it makes you feel any better, but at least it wasn't a malicious robbery. And a dog could be fun!

Brooke and Aaron said...

No offense to anyone else's comments but I think a dog would be more work than that protection is worth. Keep locking your doors and saying your prayers!

SUMMER said...

WHAT? That is kind of scary. I really hate hearing stories like this!