Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Venting


So Micah is closing in on three now and still isn't potty trained. I wanted to have him trained before Brooklyn was born, but I was way to sick to do it. I spent most of the pregnancy on my back sick as a dog. I tried, but I ended up just laying on the floor of the bathroom. Anyways, I was told to let him go naked because it is the fastest way. Well, I decided that I would do that today. I just put a shirt on him and told him to go play. Lucky me, I have a modest kid who freaked out and threw a fit wanting his pants on. I told him we didn't need pants and we went in the backyard with snacks and juice. I brought the potty close to the back door so he could get to it quickly. He sat on in for a minute and then ran back to his room to throw another fit and cried for pants. Finally I said he could wear pants and put in the Once Upon a Potty video. After it was over I told him we were going to the potty. He refused. I told him if I got to three and he wasn't on the potty I would take his pants away (that sounds so weird). I got to three and took his pants away and he freaked out again. I left him in his room and came back a few minutes later. I told him he could wear big boy pants (real underwear instead of Pull-ups) but that he can't go potty in them. I left to tend to Brooklyn who has a cold and won't let me put her down without screaming. A few minutes later Micah runs in saying he is wet. Yes, he had peed on the floor in his room. I got a rag and told him he had to help clean it up. He helped and of course off come the wet underwear and here comes another freak out session for pants. Ahhh!!! I finally had had enough. I put a Pull-up on him and I am officially saying screw it. I called Chad and told him he is now in charge of potty training. I can't do it with a nursing infant and a stubborn toddler. I think the thing that makes it so frustrating for me is knowing how smart he is. I know he knows better and he just doesn't want to do it. To top it off, Brooklyn won't give me more than five minutes alone! I am just about to lose it! If anyone has an advice I am willing to take it. If there was such a thing as a potty training boot camp, I would totally sign him up!

7 Quick Thoughts:

Ali said...

Rachel, you are SO real and funny...I love reading your posts. I loved the muffin top picture too- I'm sure your muffin top is MUCH MUCH smaller and more bearable to look at though :) As far as this potty training issue I (obviously) don't have any experience whatsoever, but when I watch "Jon and Kate plus 8" she always talks about how her girls were potty trained before her boys (they are all a set of sextuplets- three girls, three boys) and how the boys just needed to be ready on their own time. I'm sure it'll come soon...it probably just has to be HIS idea it sounds like! Are there any boys his age that he thinks are "cool" and are potty trained that you can use as peer pressure sort of? :) That's my only idea. It sounds like you are doing your very best though and I hope little Brooklyn gets over her cold soon ;) Wow, I'll end this novel now....good luck!

SUMMER said...

Don't worry... it will happen!!!

Becky and Ben said...

So I am having similar problems to you. I went to Pullups' website and got a free dvd about how to get them potty trained. The first thing they say is that it typically takes 8 months to potty train. Yuck! But they gave me some great ideas. The biggest one is be consistent and don't ask them if they have to potty (cuz they always say no), just say, "it's time to go potty". I set a timer in my kitchen for 30 minutes and take him every 30 mins. He's been doing sooo much better. I would totally recommend the video. Plus it's free! Let me know if I can help in any other way.

The Bradys said...

Im telling u from personal experience... let it go. Jackson was 3 years and 2 months when he finally did it. i was like u and pushed and pushed and was SOOO frustrated. then one day a few months after he turned three he deicded in two days he would be potty trained. they HAVE to do it on their own time, boys are retarded i tell ya.... relax, give him another month, try again, and maybe again and again and again... he will do it when hes ready. with a new baby its more than u should be taking on!!!

Chelle said...

Rach, you are way moe determined than me! I think the last thing you need is anohter thing on your plate...try again later when you have more energy. For now, just take it as esy as you can.

ashley said...

yeah, i echo amy. give him (and yourself) some time off! it will happen!

Brooke and Aaron said...

Everyone's right. It will be most successful if you wait until he's ready. Don't worry about his age or anything. Everyone is so different! I hear you though with the frustration of the situation and having another child demanding you. That's a lot! Give it a break and try again in a month.