Saturday, April 18, 2009

Physiological or ...

Way back in high school I had this weird experience. I decided to take a nap in the middle of the day. I remember I had a nightmare and woke up suddenly. I don't remember the details of the night mare, but I remember when I woke up, I couldn't move or speak. I was wide awake and was unable to move any part of my body or to open my mouth. It is the scariest feeling to try with everything you have to scream and not have even a slight sound come out. I was so freaked out and after a minute or two of trying to move and speak tears started falling. I still laid there silently hoping someone would come in the room or something. Another two or three minutes went by and finally I was able to move my arms and legs and my mouth began to move. As soon as I could I went running down stairs and told my family what happened. Very weird. Well, last night Chad had a guys night and since I don't like being at home alone with the kids at night, I headed over to my moms to have a sleepover so Chad could stay out as long as he wanted. Well, the night was insane with Brooklyn. She wasn't a happy camper in a new environment. Finally, around 3:30 in the morning, Brooklyn fell asleep with my mom and I headed into my brother's old room (which was mine before that) and curled up on the bed to sleep. I was woke up about a half hour later. The bed was squeaking and it felt like there was someone jumping on the bed right by my knees. I opened my eyes and no one was there. The squeaking stopped along with the jumping, but I couldn't move or speak. I was freaked out by what just happened and was trying to call out, but nothing was happening. Luckily, this time it took only about two minutes before I could move or speak. At that point, I went running into my moms room and hopped into bed. I was thoroughly freaked out! I keep trying to tell myself that this can be explained. Maybe the lack of muscle control is because I woke so suddenly that my body didn't wake with it? The jumping on the bed, I am hoping I just imagined (please let it be my imagination!) I don't know. Has anyone else had an experience like that? My mom swears her house is haunted and now I think I believe her, unless someone can explain this to me!

7 Quick Thoughts:

Ali said...

...you should do a sleep study! Crazy.

Russ and Debbie said...

Wow. That's crazy! Maybe it was angziety? (sorry my spell checker doesn't work on my phone and I probably butchered the word.). Were you stressed about something in your life when it happened the first time? If it was me, I would have freaked out for sure! I can't imagine feeling like I couldn't move. Scary!

Chelsea and Rusty said...

I've had this happen to me a few times!! one time in high school and i couldn't move or speak either! really scary! I thought it was just my muscles were so relaxed that it took them a minute to get active.

AnnaMarie said...

It has never happened to me, but the scriptures mention instances of this with dark spirits involved. I think I'd try a prayer next time.

bryan said...

well i guess it runs in the fam. That actually happens to me all the time. You seriously have to concentrate all you have to get your body moving. I usually start with my head and my fingers. I don't think it is a disorder of any kind. it usually only happens during a light sleep, like a nap.

Janice said...

yikes... the comment about dark spirits??? I'm not too sure what to say but my mom swears her house is haunted too.... they should talk! We have had a few strange things happen over the many years they have lived there. My dad thinks we are crazy... who knows. Maybe just sleep at home? ;) Hopefully it is that rem sleep thing you just posted about.

Claire Powell said...

Dear Cousin Rachel,

Have you ever heard of the term Astral Catalepsy? It is the spiritual flip side of sleep paralysis. Here's a YouTube talking about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtRZTsuUaTc
Maybe a little kooky, but cool to contemplate.
Lots of Love,
Cousin Claire :)