Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Open minds


I belong to a mom's group in the area that is a lot of fun. We are always out together taking our kids to activities or doing crafts. We have a blast and the best part is that the other moms are great. They are all so different and just all around great people. Last night we had a mom's night out and met up at Starbuck's. I grabbed a hot cocoa and two other moms showed up shortly there after. We got cozy in their big leather seats and started to chat. Our topics turned to the big three no-nos, you know, the topics that you shouldn't discuss in mixed company: sex, religion and politics. Usually, that is where I get uncomfortable. I get a little anxious, especially when it comes to religion. I am so used to people attacking or belittling me for my beliefs that I feel like I ready myself for it now. This was a totally different situation. These ladies were the kindest, most opened minded, understanding and inquisitive people. It was so nice to be able to just ask questions back and forth between friends. We talked for hours and ended up closing the place. Where did the time go? Between a Catholic, Mormon and Jew, we had a great discussion and a ton of fun. See, it can be done civily. I feel like I have some of the best friends in the world. Some of the time I don't even have to look for them. It is like God just puts them right in front of me!

7 Quick Thoughts:

The Burnetts said...

that's so great...I don't get a lot of interaction with people not of our faith - I think it's awesome that you do. Where did the mom's group come from? Is it something you found and joined or something you started...?

Mrs. Case said...

I think it is really good and healthy for everyone to meet people outside of their faith and usual interests. It brings something to the table, even if at the end of the day all it did was reinforce what you already love. Getting some culture in is really healthy. Good for you!

Chelle said...

Fun that you're in a mom's group, I'm so bad at getting involved in stuff. Nice that you could talk about religion comfortably. Mormons & Catholics back each other up on so many moral issues, we really should be comfortable around each other.

Mommy of three said...

God sure does bring people into our lives! Great friends who can discuss anything without judgement are just that - great friends. Love you! ;)

Katie Schultz said...

I am so happy for you! It seems harder to have new friends as I get older, just being to busy and being comfortable with where you are at- I need to branch out more like you, thanks for the post

SUMMER said...

I LOVE this! One of my BF's is catholic and we actually have TONS in common and believe some similar things!

Janice said...

good for you! Sounds like a nice evening.