Saturday, October 18, 2008

A duh moment

You know those times when you are told something that you should do and you know what the results should be, but you don't expect them? I have had that. I recently went to the pediatrician for both the kids to get a check up. While there we talked about Micah's non-potty training and lack of nutrition. The doctor told me that he is have far too much milk during the day and that we needed to cut way back. He said that this should get his appetite going and he should be more open to new foods. I thought this would be painful since Micah LOVES milk. I went home and he of course asks for milk. I said no, and told him if he was hungry that he could eat food. I expected a meltdown. On the contrary, he was happy to eat bananas and cereal. He ate well at dinner and has continued to happily eat other foods instead of filling his tummy with milk and juice and I haven't heard a complaint! Now as for potty training, I just read through the pamphlet that was about children who are reisitent to potty training and it was like it was written for him. Basically it boils down to a power struggle. I have decided to try it out and step one is all about handing over full control to the child when it comes to going and we are not to remind him or even talk about it. They say that the child will eventually want to use the potty for attention. Yay, I am so hoping this works!

3 Quick Thoughts:

Brooke and Aaron said...

Great! I feel this amazing sense of accomplishment when I can get my kids to do something that they normally don't do...AND the kids are happy because 'they' decided to do it "all by themselves" (we as parents just presented the option or idea to them). Ah..everybody wins, and it's great, isn't it?!

Mrs. Case said...

My fingers are crossed for you! Have I mentioned that the thought of having to potty train someone is a major baby-making deterrent for me? LOL.

Kristyn said...

I wonder if I give Thacks too much milk too? It's just so easy - and I thought so good for him. But he doesn't eat a whole lot like Micah either. Hmm. And hooray for help on potty training. For sure I'm going to give you a call when that time comes for us - so take copious notes for me, kay?

I sent a small bag of clothes home with my parents when they came up. They got back in town not too long ago, so I'll give them a call and tell them to drop them off at your place sometime.