Thursday, October 2, 2008

Mean, mean, mean!

That's right, I am the meanest mom ever! I have a little boy who is now an expert limit tester. I feel like most of the day I am just counting to two (hopefully not reaching three) or yelling at him. I feel terrible about it. I just want to enjoy him and have fun, but he is constantly doing something that needs to be punished. Within the last little bit he has peed on Brooklyn's play gym, poured out half his bath water on the floor, screamed at Brooklyn to wake her up, wallowed in a puddle before having to leave, threw a keyboard down the stairs, spit on my parents furniture, and just never seems to listen. Janice, I am right there with you! You want to love them and be easy on them, but I can't allow him to act this way or think it is acceptable, so I am the meanest mom in the world right now. I thought I was just about to lose it yesterday. After four hours of Brooklyn's whining and crying she finally fell asleep in the car. After about fifteen minutes, Micah yells in her face only to wake her up. I was livid. I got out of the car and yelled at him and told him how naughty that was to wake her up. I finished and got back in my seat when he started sobbing and saying "I just don't know what to do." That broke my heart. I broke down and started crying. I felt like a big jerk, but what do I do? I can't allow him to do that, but I don't want to have to reprimand him constantly. I have to remind myself it is a phase and it will pass, right? Luckily, I have a family that is happy to help out and a husband that doesn't mind bringing home dinner when I am spent! It is a good thing they are so stinkin' cute, it makes it easier to forgive them after a bad day, right?


So here is how that day ended. I found it amusing and I think you will too!

11 Quick Thoughts:

Becky and Ben said...

So I don't know who thought of Terrible Two's but the Three's have been the worst so far! I have the same problem as you. I am currently reading a book called "ScreamFree Parenting". I have really been enjoying it and trying to put its principles into practice. I would seriously recommend reading it. Brad seriously had the BIGGEST MELTDOWN ever two nights ago. Ben was livid and yelling. So I put the practices into effect and it worked. (That's not to say I wasn't mad and livid.) The book is all about controlling your emotional reactivity, since that is what your child is looking for you to lose control of. I'm still learning, but couldn't hurt to try right?

Carrie Braunalicious said...

OMG- that video is hilarious! Funny how just after being total boogers they so something adorable like fall asleep on the coffee table.

Janice said...

Rachel! I am so glad to hear your days are like mine sometimes...its crazy! Right after I did that post Carson dumped a bag of shredded cheese in my kitchen and threw a GLASS vase at my older boys. Not sure what to do about him either. He has had me in tears because you feel bad for them and want to be a "nice" mom but they are so naughty sometimes! I am not sure about the scream free parenting book...the title in itself kind of scares me...but I guess if it works??? Anyway, Hang in there and know I feel ya sista! xoxo

Tanya said...

That video is so cute. I feel you on the whole thing. Just today my dad asked me if I said no or yes more often, Of course no I say no all day long no don't do this no don't do that stop it and so on and so on. It is just part of it. and you are right you can't let them just get away with it or you will go crazy and never be able to leave the house with your little angels :) or whatever they are at that time.

Katie Schultz said...

Yup I to am struggling to keep my cool with Ruby- I heard this statistic that being a stay at home mom is the most stressful occupation out their, above stock broker, waitress, etc. Book I am reading, that I can not say enough good things about- LOVE AND LOGIC magic for early childhood. It is purple and small and you can order it on Amazon for a good deal. Thanks for the honesty in your blog it helps to hear we are all struggling and it is not all cupcakes, rainbows, and unicorns.

The Bradys said...

I feel ya my friend.. sometimes u just wanna pul your hair out!!! and OMG how adorable is brooklyn! i just wanna eat her!

Chelle said...

Man, I hate those days! I'm lucky that counting works most of the time for kaleb. The worst is when Kevin gets home just as I lose it & he must think I'm crazy!

SUMMER said...

I can't believe he fell asleep like that!! Sooo funny. And you can add me to the mean mom club! :)

Brooke and Aaron said...

You are not mean, you're human and you're a full-time mom! Somehow we have to find a balance between discipline and patience. If you don't say anything then he'll think he can walk all over you. Emma's new thing now is if you say "no" or discipline her (even nicely) she'll say, "Mommy, don't say no, be nice to me, I'm just a little gyrl." Then I think, "Aargh!..Yes, but I'm still the mom!" The best medicine for me is to get time to myself here and there, even if that just means watching a tv show or folding laundry. When I'm alone, I can clear my mind and gather the extra patience needed to be a better mom and wife. Try to find opportunities to refresh yourself, Rachel, because you need and deserveit.

Jennifer Dyal said...

That video is hilarious! I admire all that you do in raising your kids. I so want another baby, but I do wonder how I possibly will manage. It's nice to see a glimpse into reality. It's refreshing to know how worth it it all is, and that I'll have plenty of people to ask advice from. Good luck, Rach!

Kristyn said...

Ah, girlie, I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say, but hang in there. I'm sure they're all correct when they say they grow up too fast so just enjoy the time now. That probably doesn't help though.