Monday, March 2, 2009

Independent

I have been trying to encourage Micah's independence as he gets older. We have him clear his own dishes from the table, help pick out his clothes, bring in some groceries, clean up toys and things along those lines. Yesterday he asked me for a juice box. I told him he could have it if he cleaned up toys first. He did a quick clean up and then I said "OK, you can get yourself a juice box." I thought they were closer to the ground than they were! In he climbs and down he comes as proud as punch with his juice box. What a big kid! Wait, should I be encouraging or discouraging this?

I have been getting crafty and making more bows and clips for Brooklyn. I get stopped whenever we are out and people just love them, so I think I might really start to sell them. When I said that before, there was a new law that was basically going to eliminate handmade children's goods, so I thought it would be a waste of time. Now that the law has been amended, I think I might throw a couple of them up on eBay and see if they go. I know you can't see it really well in her hair, but I thought the face she made was goofy. Love it!

2 Quick Thoughts:

Mrs. Case said...

I want to snack on Brooklyn's baby cheeks!

I think it is a good thing you are trying to make Micah responsible. All those tasks you listed are things I hope I remember to do one day.

Brooke and Aaron said...

I think you should keep encouraging the independence (maybe just make sure the juice boxes are down lower before you tell him to get one :) ). I'm trying to do the same thing with Emma because I think it increases their self-esteem knowing that they're being "big kids" and it sure helps me out having a little helper! My mom was wonderful, but she took the opposite approach -- she wouldn't let us do anything because she wanted to have control of everything and make sure it was done 'right', so I feel like I grew up feeling a little incompetent. I don't want my kids to feel that way, so even if they don't do it the way I like it done, I will continue to encourage their independence because I think it makes them happy and teaches them responsibility.